Gigabit network issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dekadeka, Sep 6, 2014.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

I am thinking the culprit is I recently purchased a 5 port D Link switch to bridge the gap between a switch I have in bedroom and a TP Link one I have next to main desktop in living room.

At my previous property I just used the generic one in living room and TP Link next to router as router was right outside bedroom door and never had any issues with gigabit speeds.

Even when I first moved here seemed to have no issues the difference being I used my generic 8 port one next to router and just ran a single cable into bedroom and into back of bedroom desktop or my laptop.

I decided to get another switch so I can use different things in bedroom and this is where the problem has started so I assume its the new switch, I either get non gigabit speeds or the transfer just freezes and I have to restart it.

Just wondering what the problem can be.

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Switch and router models?

Cable types and lengths?

Is the problem isolated to a single PC / can you replicate it with another one?

3. dekadeka

I will add those another time since I am off to bed as up early tomorrow, but yes the problems occured on both a desktop and laptop, at first I assumed that it worked fine on laptop last time I tried it(over a month ago) as the laptop had a better ethernet port, but then realised when I used it with laptop it was before I bought the 3rd switch.

And last time I checked when I ran a 15meter cable from living room switch to bedroom direct I got gigabit speeds it was only when the 3rd switch was added a problem occurs

I changed from Plusnet to Sky last week so I doubt its the router, not sure Plusnet model but its the Sky hub 102 currently used but all I use that for is to have a wired connection into the 5 port switch next to it and cable in one direction for switch going to living room desktop and one in other direction for bedroom into swithes at both ends.

4. Archaon

Despite being fairly new, apparently the Sky Hub 2 (SR102) only supports Fast Ethernet (i.e. 10/100) not Gigabit Ethernet (i.e. 1000). It sounds like you're using that to connect the switches together; if that's the case then that's why you're not getting Gigabit Ethernet speeds as anything that passes through the router will auto-negotiate down to 100Mbps.

5. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

that is corrext

6. dekadeka

No its not that as my Sky box is wired into the switch and the switch runs to both the other switch so only 1 ethernet port is used on the Sky hub for this very reason.

7. Archaon

Fair enough. So that brings us back to...

Switch models?

Cable types and lengths?

8. Flash

Flash Regular Kustomer

how have you got your ip's setup ? dhcp or static are you getting any packet drops or crc drops ??

9. dekadeka

Sorry for lateness of reply, been a bit swamped with uni work.

Anyway I downloaded something on my laptop yesterday when I was rebuilding my desktop and when I finished I attached a gigabit cable to the main switch(the same switch for desktop and laptop)

On Windows 7 I was getting terrible speeds, started off at 25 megabytes then dropped to about 3 then went under 1 for a game, I tried copying over my emulator folder to laptop too as its more up to date and it kept freezing at the same point, I then tried my Windows 8 install on my 2nd hard drive in pc and the game transfered over at the maximum it could go 108 megabytes till last 100 meg or so then slowed down to a few megabytes but the emulator folder again crashed at same point.

So it seems to be 2 issues, one Windows 7 is bottlenecking me somehow and my emulator folder seems to hate being copied to another pc(yet works fine copying to a external hard drive or pen drive and putting that in another pc)