Gears of War

Discussion in 'Games !!!' started by Zozart, Nov 16, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Zozart

Zozart used to be splaty

This arrived this morning and... Wow. It's really, really good.

Not only is it, undisputedly, the most beautiful console game of the year, the gameplay is so polished and tight that it's simply a joy to play. It's not overly complex (which has garnered some criticism in a few reviews), but for what it is - a squad-based, tactical third-person shooter (mouthful!) - it's fantastic.

If you've got an X360 and enjoy shooting games, you honestly have no excuse not to snag this at the earliest opportunity!

2. Daza

Daza Super Kustomer

Thank god its good, I just bought it along with fear about an hour ago from play.com without reading any reviews and hoping it will be here soon!!, although where I work there charging £50 for it.

3. Euphoria

Euphoria The music dude!

Looks to be an awesome game!

4. Thomas @ Kustom

Thomas @ Kustom Kustom Owner

Not that I like the game, infact I really don't see what's so brilliant that it's getting the scores it does, UH! To me there's a lotta hype.

Anyway, gears of war bashing aside.

Go here http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=412362 add to basket, register with them if you haven't already, and put in code AN3714 to get £5 off.

And if you're really thrifty, reister with quidco, and go through their link to get another 11% off.

From Thomas, your friendly seems to find a heck of a lot of bargains at hmv, kinna guy.

www.kustompcs.co.uk ftw!

5. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

I was thinking about getting this then realised it was a load of cash, but if its this good I might have no choice but to buy it today at work!

6. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

My eldest son got it this morning... and hadn't put it down when I spoke to him again earlier this evening :eek:
    I'll bet that's pleasing his girlfriend no end...NOT!!

Different folks have different tastes (clearly borne out by Thomas' post there :D), but FWIW... my lad reckons "it's bloomin' brilliant" as well ;)

7. Haanz

Haanz Regular Kustomer

*slobbers all over his collector's edition copy* Very possibly the best looking game out there, period - forget on a console. Prettiness aside, I think it's main appeal, to me anyway, is just the insane amount of attention to details.

SWAT turns, Roadie Runs, dives.. It's so easy and fast to dash from cover to cover once you're used to it. The chainsaw is astonishingly fun. The multiplayer is awesome. There's not a particularly complex storyline in the way of plot twists, but there's a whole lot of attention to setting-building. It's like they wrote this big complex history for a setting purely so they could make a few passing references to it.

Add to that the wonderfully well working co-op (that works on all three split-screen, system link and live..) and fact it supports two players on split screen per console even when in a system link game (something that, to mine and others distress, doesn't happen as often anymore), it's a superbly complete package.

Finally though, and arguably most importantly, is that it really oozes "this was made for a console". The not-so-tiny crosshair (and hell, even the shooting from the hip), functional (yet not over the top) aim-assist. And the amount of damage players can take (which is surprising, considering how long - or rather how not-so-long - you survive in the open), which all really work well with the not-so-accurate thumbsticks, which is something that CoD2/3, Prey, and most 360 shooters don't seem to get.

You know a game is something special when you play it on a console and don't leave thinking "This would have worked better on PC." And I think, aside from GRAW, it's the only shooter on the 360 so far that really feels like it was built for consoles.

After playing GRAW, I honestly believe that CliffyB should be put up there with Jason Jones as one of the few people that really "get it" when it comes to consoles.

8. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

ooooh my GOD this game is amazing!
    GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT!
    I've been playing for ages non stop its aamazing!
    like really amazing :D

9. Thomas @ Kustom

Thomas @ Kustom Kustom Owner

SIGH!

Looks at his own deal wondering if he should buy.....

10. Euphoria

Euphoria The music dude!

Blockbuster selling it at £34.99. Think it's the cheapest place to get it from so far! I'm still hooked on Tiger Woods 07, Fight Night R3 and PE6 :D

11. Daza

Daza Super Kustomer

Have got it sitting next to me in its wraper will be playing in a few minutes:D still waiting for F.E.A.R. to arrive, even though they were ordered at the same time:confused:

12. ArTizan

ArTizan Member of the Month

13. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Dammit, it's sitting in a bag downstairs as another christmas prezzie for me - next to the Logitech G25... I'm having a miserable time of it down here in Brum! :p

14. Daza

Daza Super Kustomer

Ok just having a break, and the only niggle I have is whith the pal format scince it runs at pal-60 it wont let me have it at pal-50 and my lcd isn't a happy bunny being forced to play at pal-60, still a very good game though, noe if only fear was here:rolleyes:

15. fatnickc

fatnickc Yes...

This game really makes me want to get a 360. But I won't.

16. Zozart

Zozart used to be splaty

Oh man, I haven't had such an awesome split-screen co-op experience for ages! I'm so glad the co-op isn't just on Live; having both people there makes it even more fun (since you can scream at each other, "REVIVE ME!!!!!") :D

17. digit

digit 01011000111100

I took advantage of the HMV price instore along with a £5 of for an over £30 spend. Thanks for saving me mullah! Anyhow I have to say I agree with you about the game. I don't quite understand what everyone is going crazy about. Sure it has nice graphics, but everything felt very slow and sluggish :confused: Combat didnt seem very fast paced at all. The squad orders are a pain to issue so I got into a habit of not bothering. They could learn a lot from Tom Clancy games on that front! I don't really feel compelled to fire it up again as the whole experience was rather boring. So a big thumbs down, and no doubt I'll take the game back tommorow.

18. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

I'll wait for Crysis or Unreal 3 :D

19. Daza

Daza Super Kustomer

Ok, sorry if I'm about to hijack but could see the point in starting a new thread.
    Right as we all know gears of war is 60-Hz (pal-60) but as my TV doesn't get along with pal-60 (it gives me a load of horizontal lines) I've gone and got a VGA AV Cable, from play.com now before it arrives is this going to get rid of the pal50/60 problem for me and just display the picture like my PC does (crisp) or have I just blown a bit of cash, oh my LCD TV is a 27" and ain't HD but does have a VGA connection on it for PC :D
    P.S my lcd tv does support a resolution of 1280x768 if that helps.

20. digit

digit 01011000111100

That should in theory work sound, just make sure you set the 360 to widescreen in display settings ;) I've played through a bit more of the game now, and its got a lot more enjoyable the firther I have got. Still think its a bit over rated but it ain't half bad!