FREEware + Open Source software!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fireblade, Feb 8, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

I found this info tucked away in a corner of a newsletter I get, and thought it very worthy of mention!
    It provides information and links to 100's of FREEware and open source software (primarily utilities)...
    so if you're on a tight budget, and always on the lookout for FREE software... these are for you :cool:

Almost every category you can think of is covered (and then some, most likely :D) - from anti-virus and anti-spyware, to uninstallers and shell replacements!
    So if you want it... you'll probably find it somewhere on these two sites;

Freeware
    +
    Open Source Software

(* This might be worthy of 'Sticky'-ness actually? It would give us somewhere to point anybody looking for such stuff?)

2. Don Corleone

Don Corleone lentamente gira diment

It gets my sticky vote :D

Excellent linky's, we should have a 'linky of the month vote' ;)

3. DJW33

DJW33 New Member

thanks i agree with corleone,, im sure there are thousands of sites out there that are relativley unknown yet still excellent sites i think its a good idea...

4. Trojan

Trojan BSOD

5. mushroom

mushroom Super Kustomer

6. Fireblade

I've found another great site, which I thought worth of mention: SpeedApps.

Whilst there are many excellent [FREE] programs available... if you find any of them useful - such that you'll use them on a regular basis (which I'm sure you will)...
    do bare in mind that donations are accepted by the author ;)

7. Locke Fireclaw

Locke Fireclaw Pentium Phoenix FTW!

The best things in life are free...

You know, I bet we've all pirated something or another in our time, I know I have, tons of stuff. :eek: But isn't it nice when you find something that's REALLY good, and actually SUPPOSED to be free?

I thought this would be a nice little thread for everyone to share their top freeware APP's and/or OS's, with a brief little description. No Shareware please.

So without further a do, I'll get the ball rolling.

1. Ubuntu - C'mon, you can say what you like about it being overly commercial, but it works, it's got massive support and usually if there's a problem somewhere along the line it's fixed pretty fast.

2. Puppy Linux - This is my distro of choice when it comes to old computers (1ghz and below) and file recovery from busted Windows installs. It's a tiny OS (90mb ISO) with big OS capabilities, an awesome halfway house between Ubuntu and DSL.

3. Smoothwall Express - A dedicated firewall/router Linux distro, without which my entire network would come to a shuddering halt. Running quite happily on minimum hardware (mine is running on a 600mhz P3 (upgraded from 450mhz) with 384mb of RAM) the job it does is absolutely amazing considering it's completely free, it's also a breeze to set up and administrate.

4. CDburnerXP - As far as I'm concerned, the best single burner software out there, period. It's free, it's tiny (3mb download) and burns just about any kind of disk you can imagine. Also has no upper limit on ISO size, unlike some other Shareware out there.

5. Everest Home - No longer available unfortunately, and less valuable with super modern machines, but this Freeware system monitoring tool is pretty amazing, being able to tell you nearly everything about your system, from temperatures and OS capabilities to SMART status and devices, very useful.

6. Picasa - Yeah I know, everyone know's about Picasa, right? But there was a time I didn't. I was looking for some kind of photo management software for Linux, having left my Mac behind and missing iPhoto, someone put me on to the wonders of Picasa, and I've never looked back. Sure, it's no Lightroom, but it's free and does an excellent job.

7. aMSN - Completely free MSN client, damned if all the advertisements on Windows Live Messenger don't drive me crazy! aMSN is one of the few free client's that have webcam support.

8. TAGAP - The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins (seriously, that's what it's called), probably the most weird and well polished Freeware platform shoot-em-up I've ever come across and it's perfect for passing the time at work thanks to it's low system requirements and easy controls, and especially good at relieving a little stress when the boss decides to dump a new load of crap on your shoulders.

9. Avast! Antivirus - Kicks the snot out of Norton and the like and has a very useful boot time scanner built right in. It doesn't have the Spyware scanning capabilities of AVG Free, but for an AV I think it's kickass.

10. Statbar - Hasn't been updated in forever, but this is a useful little app that puts all sorts of system information in a second task bar up on your screen. Fully customisable with what you want to view, and just really nifty.

That's my top 10 list, so, what are yours?

Locke

8. Fireblade

Aherm. We've already got a 'Sticky' on this very subject!

9. Locke Fireclaw

Locke Fireclaw Pentium Phoenix FTW!

Oh bum...sorry guys. :eek:

Locke

10. Fireblade

Why thank you kind Sir :cool:

BTW: I came across something on my 'travels' yesterday, which I think might interest ya in a month or so (maybe less)!

'Merry ChristMoose': [​IMG] :D

You can download/use it as yer Xmas avatar, when we get around to using Xmas avatars :cool:
    Pity he isn't animated though :(

11. Westy5

Westy5 Space

OT, I'm sure some kind soul will look after that for you...

12. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

I actually got bought one of those Christmoose toy things when I was a lad. :eek:

I could arrange a photoshoot for you when I'm back in Devon, Forth? :p

13. chrisgayle

chrisgayle New Member

Worth full collection, I bookmark it. Thanks.