Forum Update

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jul 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. DexDiner

DexDiner Gumpcom Survivor

What happened to Frothy, aLAN and all the other miscreants you promoted many natural satellites ago? ;)

And, no, I'm not pressuring you. I know that in between your Windoge exploits you have to fit in Nyancat, Hello Kitty, Selfies, running these forums and occasionally also running that sweet shop of yours, with PCs as a sideline ;)

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I'm still about. I never left :) Apart from the times I did leave >.>

3. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Well, I know the two mention are alive, well, I've heard from them not too long ago :) But I guess life / hobbies / priorities change and they may not be around here so much. And obviously there's not a lot to moderate at the moment, like, this forum slowed to a death.

I'm hoping to try - gradually - to stir up some interest in it again because while I realise bookface et al are the done thing these days, I hate the way facebook encouraged it as a means to reach your customers (as a business) but then changed the goal posts, once everyone started to depend on it they whittled down the exposure and bumped on the charges so that you have to pay to reach any reasonable portion of your followers. Essentially, while I understand their position, I don't like the idea that they (facebook) 'own' your community and so I'd really like to get things rolling here again.

The blog / news area hasn't worked as well as I would like on the forum though, so next step is setting up Wordpress. Although I realise the forums are far from finished yet, but it's all progress.

4. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Very slow Graeme!!

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Could you fix the thread icons that show if a thread has new posts or not?

6. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

I miss the old days!

7. Graeme*Kustom*

To be honest, VB5 was a total mistake. I feel stupid for not reading up on it before, but it was a trusted name and the obvious route for an upgrade, but fool me for not taking my time...

I'm weighing up what to do. Forget the cost and the money, but it just doesn't work reliably, and plenty of others are in the same boat, but to go to XenForo I'd have to restore a July backup of vbulletin 3 (so any posts in between are gone, not that there will be that many) or the other option is Invision Power which would convert from VB5.

I'd likely side with the second option - obvious reasons - and it's well tested, stuff like Bethesda and Neowin forums are on it, so scaling up to big use is fine. But it's going to need to be next month, I'm swamped just now.

DexDiner likes this.
  8. Graeme*Kustom*

Just going to chalk this one up to experience, will close the vbulletin forum in the next few days and the posts / threads are going to be migrated to a new XenForo installation. It's popular on other sites so shouldn't feel tricky to work with, but it's quick and reliable so should be a much better option for the long term.

9. Graeme*Kustom*

Sorry that 1. It's been ages and 2. It's not fully tidied up and working 100% yet.

But that's Xenforo in place and it's certainly an improvement. :)

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hello survivors :D

11. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i mentioned it in the forum updates section, but the click graphics are a bit annoying.
    don't really need a green circle appearing on screen every time i click the mouse

12. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

also, why are posts requiring moderator approval?

13. Graeme*Kustom*

They're part of the Material Xen theme that's used, I can't see what makes those happen. Not really sure what to call it and there's 82 templates so it's a bit of a faff to root out. Can't be doing too much harm though.

Where was that? I *think* I had the permissions all set okay, but was it a reply or new thread and which forum and I'll triple check?

14. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

it was the replies in this thread.
    they were sitting at moderator approval for a couple of days.

15. Graeme*Kustom*

Should be all behaving itself now hopefully :)

16. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I've been going through the moderation queue when I see it. I like the new forums :) Just takes a bit o getting used to cos things are in different places.

17. iggy

iggy Pirate Moderator

Well, this is shiny :)