Forum Update

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jul 3, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Finally getting the finger out and updating these forums to a slightly more modern setup. Do forgive the whole default template, that will be sorted in the next few days, and will be giving the sections a tidy up and refresh as well, a lot of it is irrelevant these days anyway. :)

If there's any particular VB plugins you would like to see added, just shout and I'll make sure that happens too.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

and the forum finally loads after a weekend of it failing :D

edit - smilies don't seem to work

3. Graeme*Kustom*

Whole site has had problems over the weekend, hopefully sorted now. Will get stuck into tidying up on here later this week :)

4. stdPichu

stdPichu Kustomer

Have user photo albums gone the way of the dodo...?

Edit: OK, found the album under !click username" > media but looks like in the process all the old IMG URLs have been invalidated...? Don#t see any option to edit them either - just gives me some sort of icon. In fact how are you even meant to embed images now? Doesn't even show me the tags to amend the address...

5. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Well done Greame

6. Graeme*Kustom*

mm, I know VB5 has changed a lot of things URL wise - the threads have URLs that reference the title instead of thread ID now, but I didn't think it would affect the pic gallery.

I'll do some digging, although I know you can post from the gallery from new / edited posts, when you post an image it lets you pic from URL / Upload / or existing gallery (this was a pain to do in the older VB3 as it always a two step process)

Apologies this is a job half-done, haven't ended up with as much time as I thought I would but will be getting it all finished properly later this week :)

7. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Might be me but i cannot find a link to the shop on the Forums header? Wouldn't it be a good idea to include that there?

8. DexDiner

DexDiner Gumpcom Survivor

Give him a chance, he's only "just" upgraded the forums and he still has a business to run. Besides, you've been here long enough, I'm sure you can find the shop without needing a link ;)

Damn, the emoticons are still missing. That was meant to be a wink.

9. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

Give him a chance, he's only "just" upgraded the forums and he still has a business to run...

;P

10. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

I dont like it...... sorry! -_-

11. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Still, a very important part of the forum to have a link to the shop!!! Just pointing it out!

12. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

the "latest updated topics" section at the top is too intrusive and takes up too much space.
    it can be minimised but that option doesn't stick when you go back to the forum again.

13. Graeme*Kustom*

A few tweaks today

* Smilies are back
    * Moved updated topics to right hand column (above latest topics)
    * Tidy up / merge of some dormant subforums. Moved old news and shop related stuff to archive, these aren't used now
    * Reintroduced build logs section
    * Logo goes back to the shop now as per the previous forums

14. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

is it just me, or is it taking too long to actually post a reply.
    when clicking "post reply" it is sitting for about 15-20 seconds before anything actually happens.

15. banky_edwards

banky_edwards Curbside Prophet

It's very different to the last time I was here

16. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

I prefer the speed and look of the old forums

17. Graeme*Kustom*

I've got a guide to work through on optimisations to try which should hopefully sort speed - just need a quiet spot at night to work through them.

Part of me wonders a little if sticking vBulletin (what seemed the easiest / most obvious route) was the right one. Not ready to give up yet but if it turns out to be the wrong move then I'll cut losses and switch to something else, but if this can be made good with a little more effort so be it. Complaints about the speed of vb5 are noted elsewhere, it might just be it's no use, but I won't give up yet :)

The aim with the newer forum was to make it work better on mobile, better social media integration, and stuff like showing videos in posts and so on - the old one was getting a bit... old and struggled in these areas, but it really looked and felt dated. Same story with the shop website which is due an overhaul as well, but likely going to be early next year to get that ready. Some groundwork laid already, but essentially it will be a more mobile friendly design and bring in better search facilities (product categories will be refined in real time using property searches at the top of the page) and just have the layout decluttered a little. Need to get all this stuff dragged into the right decade!

18. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Graeme you are doing a terrific job buddy. Stick with it. Always teething errors etc

19. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

+1 on this..... stick with it.... once you have finished facebooking and cat video's maybe you can sort this forum out..... -_-

20. Graeme*Kustom*

Why is there never a moderator around when you need one. You should be banned for your cheek.

Then again, it would probably halve the activity around here at the moment ;)

Incidentally, posting and so on is a bit quicker now, eh? :)