Ford Focus

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Samsonite, Jan 28, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Just a random post. I was looking at swapping our Nissan Micra for something more useful (boot space being the main issue). I tested a Ford Focus MK2 1.6 petrol and was really pleasantly surprised. I realise they are not going to be motorway beasts, but the handling and low gear acceleration was a joy! And it sounded sweet as well.

I had been looking at the Golf, A3, Civic and C4 in comparison and this one stole the show (to my surprise).

Has anyone else been surprised at how nice this car is to drive? Bear in mind that I've driven a lot of cars from my first 1988 988cc Nissan Micra to a 600bhp Lamborghini Gaillardo - so I think if this one seems good it must be half-decent...!

2. Osiris

Osiris Gentleman and Scholar

Ford generally are well regarded as producing the best handling cars in their respective classes. I've driven a couple and i have always been happy.

However, be warned if you go the Ford route that a lot of repairs can be main dealer only on newer models because of their beastly habit of coding everything. Electronics are generally poor and costly to fix.

My wife has a 2001 Mondeo and has done ~80k miles in 3 years. Mechanically it's only needed consumables but it has faulty Central locking, fuel gauge etc. While none of this is a big deal day to day attempting a fix will cost you a lot of money as you'll need to go main dealer. Depends how bothered you are by those little things that can go wrong.

All things considered, looking at the range your suggesting, I think a Honda Civic is a great option. I tested a 1.8 Petrol recently when looking for a new car myself and it was fantastic to drive, very spacious (i'm 6 foot 4 and a passager could sit behind me in relative comfort, which is rare) you'll also get bullet proof reliability.

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

I'm not sure it'd be what I'd buy but yes the Mk2 Focus 1.6 petrol that I drove was a pleasure (as was the 1.6 diesel although I feel less of a 'drivers car').

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I might be getting a Ford Focus mk1 1.6 later this year from my aunty :) I'd be worried that the mk2 is heavier than the mk1 but the engine is no more powerful to cope with the extra weight.

Dad has a 2007 Civic 2.2 diesel and it's got more poke than a 2.2 toyota avensis diesel that I test drove. I'm 178cm and in the back of the civic it's alright but if i put my head back I can touch the roof. In the Civic you'll find yourself opening the back doors for people the first time cos they'll think it's a three door.

5. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

Still have nothing really wrong with my 54 plate Octavia.. 130000+ miles, 1 engine fault (master cylinder failed and took the clutch!). Suprisingly massive boot, efficient engine (diesel) and not a single electrical issue yet!

Fords do seem to have a few issues with there central locking but with most new cars most reliability issues now are few and far between. So long as you look after them, they will probably look after you.

six

6. Velkro

Velkro Kustomer

often overlooked in that size range is the Seat Leon, I'm on my second and having fun ;)
    Traded my FR in last year to get a FR+ SuperCopa, Had my first FR for almost 3 years and was 3.5 years old when I traded it in, only spent money on tires and services.

7. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

get a subaru :)

8. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

If memory serves the 1.6 in the Mk2 is a newer unit with a bit more power, I don't think it's dramatically more powerful but to be fair the car isn't dramatically heavier either.

9. LEEGRILLS

LEEGRILLS Regular Kustomer

Ive owned my 53 plate civic type r now for over 5years never had a problem and trust me it hasnt had an easy life with me.. just i tend to need to change my tyres and shoes every 4-6months, but the running cost must be one of the cheapest for the proformance, ive kept up with r32's wrx's and the fast leons, and i can get around 120miles out of £20 of petrol...

10. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Thanks for all the suggestions - I checked out pricing (obviously a fairly big factor) and also what I could get for the old car. In the end, the Focus came out as the best deal. I went for a 57 plate with only 23k miles on the clock and only £4k after trading in an old Nissan Micra. Seems to be mint (as close as) condition (I suppose the mileage is very low for the age).

Power-wise it seems more than adequate - pulls away and accelerates well and the power seems perfect for the weight of the car. I had previously tried a 1.4 petrol and it was very weak in comparison (same went for the 1.4 Golf too - I guess 1.4 petrol is just a bit weak for a heavy hatch).

Feels very solid - go over big bumps and nothing rattles - the suspension soaks up bumps well although it feels firm when going round corners at a decent speed (like those acute motorway ramps that go round and round and round).

All in all, seems good for the money (I mean you only have certain expectations at this price-range)!

The only DIY job to do to the car is to wire up the AUX port of the stereo so that I can plug an MP3 player into it - shouldn't be too tricky (famous last words).