First Kustom Rig...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by black1e, Jun 19, 2006.

Share This Page

1. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

Hey, I'm planning to buy all these main components to build my first custom pc but i just want to put it on the forums to see if everythings compatable or if anyone knows of better alternatives, considering i cant go over this budget at all really.

- Asus P5N32 SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 775)
    - 2x BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC 256MB GDDR3
    - Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) (800MHz)
    - Intel Pentium 4 650 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.4GHz (800MHz)
    - FSP Sparkle FX600-GLN Epsilon 600W
    - Samsung SM-920N 19" LCD Monitor (Anyone know of monitors like this one that Look better)

Ok they are the mains they all compatible and will work good?

2. seanyc5

seanyc5 Silent Assassin.....

duno about your PSU ive never heard of that particular make, not saying its bad but Seasonic, Targan etc.. are the best
    ________
    LIVE SEX

3. Lomax

Lomax Deadly Pacifist!

If you are looking to go the Intel route then I would suggest waiting for the launch of the Conroe core chips which are due for release on the 23 July (I think!!).

4. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

Conroe core chips ? I never heard of it but it sounds like i should look into it.

The only reason im going with Intel is because i've heard more bad reviews and customer reports that AMD isnt always that good, where as Intel are balanced for gaming and word proccesing, internet etc.

5. Lomax

Lomax Deadly Pacifist!

Intel have not had the best run with a few of their more recent chips and certainly for gaming, AMD has been the main choice with Intel for encoding type work. I run an AMD system whichI have had no problems with at all. I also run a P4 system as my second system. Here's a feature on it with some benchmarks CONROE.

6. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

What a load of tosh :rolleyes:

AMD's AMD64, FX and X2 CPUs (otherwise known as the 'K8' generation) completely trounce the equivellent Intel Pentium processors with regards to gaming.

What was being recommended to you, are the Intel Core processors. 'Core' is, if you like, a new 'Pentium'. They're dropping the latter in favour of the former, as their new marketing.

Now the 'Conroe' (a codename for the CPU) line of Intel Core CPUs are good, but unless you wish to overclock them -- they aren't sold at a performance level that rivals the higher AMD chips, though on the mid-level market, I think they're a serious contender.

The ones that are really going to kick ass (and Intel knows it), are the Intel Core 2 processors (second generation). These will be taking over, even with AMDs new socket launch (Socket AM2). Though they're not available yet.

Particularly with the chip you're going for, I would MUCH rather opt for a Socket AM2 Athlon 64 or Athlon X2. Both would give you DDR2 support (so the same memory you've picked will work).

Couple that with an Nforce 590 series motherboard and you'll be away on the AMD front.

I really don't get some of the jaded/biased opinions people have on CPUs. Though it depends on what you're doing, at the end of the day -- if one CPU is better, then it's better. If it's more expensive though, you have to think of cost. So it's all down to choice, but don't listen to "this is better just because". :rolleyes:

7. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Your sources are completely wrong IMO? The vast majority of systems whose primary purpose is gaming, are AMD powered!

That's not to say an Intel system can't be used for gaming. My laptop uses an 3.4ghz P4, and... paired with 1GB PC4200 and a 6800... it copes admirably.

But all my desktop systems have AMD CPU's in 'em - simply because they're used [primarily] for gaming... and AMD CPU's are the way to go in gaming systems ;)

Are you getting my drift yet :D

8. Lomax

Lomax Deadly Pacifist!

Just to clarify, is the Conroe not the core codename for the second gen chips which are coming out at the end of July, aka Intel Core 2 Duo? I understood that there was the Intel Core Duo which is the current chip and then there will be the Intel Core 2 Duo.

9. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

SO, if i were to use a Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (they any good didnt do read any reviews yet) with AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz (Socket AM2).

Whats with the lower GHz than the Intels or are the AMD's just more powerful in general (with gaming) compaired to intels? Remember i aint goona be overclocking so i want a machine that will be powerful on the go..

10. jacobzcoool

jacobzcoool Chav Hunter

AMD chips are better than much higher clock speed intel chips (3800 beats 3.8GHz P4)

11. Lomax

Lomax Deadly Pacifist!

I suppose one question to ask is, 'What's your budget?'.

12. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

cool. The AMD x2's are dam expensive are they much better than the 64's ?

budget for the entire machine around 2k for the CPU 250 really, the less the better but still i want POWER :)

13. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Im Skint, Bugger Off

£2000 will buy a beast of a system..

14. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

Im looking at AMD motherboards now this looks impressive Asus M2N32-SLi-DLX nForce 590 SLi (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard.

Would anyone recommend it ?

Or the Gigabyte GA_M59SLi-S5 nForce 590

15. Lomax

Lomax Deadly Pacifist!

If you look at the benchies between the Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe) and the current AMD FX you will see that Intel is going to absolutely trash AMD, at least in the short term. A 2.66 Core 2 Duo exceeds the overclocked FX60 (FX62 is the only one available in AM2 socket = 700 spondoolies). Prices for the Core 2 Duo 2.66 are being hinted at around 400.

If you have #2,000 to spend then #400 for a cpu should be within your budget. A rough idea of prices:

Case - 50 to 100 (ish)
    PSU - 70 (ish)
    Mobo - 150 (ish)
    CPU - 400 (ish)
    Ram - 200 (ish)
    Graphics - 200 to 400 (ish)
    HDD - 70 to 100 (ish)
    Monitor - 300 (ish)
    OS - 60 to 90 (ish)

I am making assumptions but, even looking at the top end of the figures, you are still well within budget.

16. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

I'd prefer the Gigabyte myself. Never got on with the Asus boards. The only place the Gigabyte stuff usually lacks is in Overclocking and.. Well, you said you wouldn't be ;)

AMD X2's are dual core, as opposed to single core. So it's like having two processors in one! It's a complex question as to what would benefit you more, as most games aren't multithreaded (coded for more than one CPU). A dual core CPU is definitely a more future-proof idea; Windows Vista, and a lot of games are starting to take advantage of multithreading.

Lomax: Yup, sorry, you're right. Even I'm getting confused. Conroe's is the one everyone's talking about, and indeed waiting for -- not out until mid-late July.

The current Core chips are almost a showcase of what's to come, really. But aren't positioned to take down AMD's performance lead just yet.

It's really confusing with Intel changing over product bands though; Instead of Intel Pentium, we'll all have to start thinking 'Intel Core'. Then we've got the 'Duo', the 'Extreme' etc.

Have a quick look here if it still sounds confusing.

EDIT: Or not, you know what you're on about by the looks of things. Still, should be useful to someone else I'd hope :)

EDIT #2: Big Adam's reply to this thread is quite relevant too! :D

17. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

400 on cpu? i cant see any for that much inless i go duel core the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz is 99.95 on one website

18. Lomax

Lomax Deadly Pacifist!

Fair point but you indicated that you want power and you have a 2k budget. My suggestion would give you far far more power than an AMD64 3800+ and keep you far more future proofed.

19. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

That's about what I'd look to spend, to be honest :)

20. black1e

black1e Regular Kustomer

So a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.00GHz would have more power than the single 2.4GHz ? At twice the price i would think so..