First build improvement help

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by Hoor_Paar_Kraat, Jun 13, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Hoor_Paar_Kraat

Hoor_Paar_Kraat New Member

Hey all, looking for some advice or help on how to go improving my performance while keeping the system nice and quiet, This was my first build and I have very little experience with hardware, although I have a degree in programming so I am always around computers. :)

I use it only for audio and I do have a number of restrictions so I need to have certain slots available etc.

Ok here is the spec run down

Case - Fractal R4
    Mobo - Asus M5A78L (This was the best board with 3 PCI Slots I could find)
    Cpu - AMD Bulldozer FX-8120, 3.1 GHz
    RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengence, 1600MHz
    Gpu - Radeon HD 5450 (best 1 slot, no fan card I could find)
    Boot Drive - Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB
    Storage - Samsung HD 500GB
    Power Supply - Corsair CX600M

I have a few cards installed; 2x USB3, 4 connection PCI Express card and 2x M-Audio Delta 1010

I have the stock Cpu cooler installed and 2 Fractal 140mm Silent Series fans, one at the exhaust and one on the front.

Ok, so what in your opinion should I do/buy?

I was looking at the corsair H100i, I know this is probably overkill as I doubt I will be attempting to overclock the machine, but I think the unit looks cracking! I would like to water cool the whole set up but I'm defo not gonna attempt it any time soon. Also the AMD cpu fan is the only thing about the system that makes a noise!

I was also going to the get the windowed side panel and install some internal lighting although I have no idea how to do this at the moment!

Sorry for the stupidly long post, any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

P.s I was going to include a few pics of the unit but the light has just blown so they won't turn out very well. Can always do it in the morning.

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Apart from the bonkers amount of RAM, which I mentioned in your other thread, the specs are fairly rounded based on your requirements (PCI slots, quiet, etc).

Cooling overkill isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it lets you turn the fans right down, which is obviously going to help you out if you're going for silent running.

If you need gaming performance, the graphics card is going to be the weak point. It's possible to have a quiet graphics card that's fan cooled though- when GPU fans are on low speed, they're pretty much silent, so if your case cooling is set up just right, you can have performance without the noise.

3. argh-its-ben

argh-its-ben /win by default

Why on Earth do you need all that RAM?

4. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

@Latency/Argh keg-o-health: From what (little) I know about ProTools, it uses a silly amount of RAM especially if you have lots of multi-layered audio. So, perhaps his choosing to use a 'bonkers' amount of RAM isn't such a bad idea? And, to be fair, think of all the money he's saving by not buying a graphics card like a 660 Ti - which is usually a given on these forums. He may as well put his money elsewhere; it's his money afterall.

@Hoor_Paar_Kraat: Depending on what your temperatures are like and if you had decent air flow running from front-to-back in your case, you could (in theory) mount the H100i at the top of your case with no fans at all and run it passively. At the moment, I'm cooling my CPU as well as two GPUs passively and my temperatures are great albeit I'm using a 480mm radiator and not a 240mm radiator. It'd be silent and if you never plan to overclock the CPU anyway, it might be something to consider. : )

Additionally, check this out: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_31108.html

5. Hoor_Paar_Kraat

Yeah, I'm running duel Delta 1010's (with the intention of getting a 3rd fairly soon) which gives me 16 analogue to digital inputs and 16 outputs simultaneously, this can be a bit of a drain on the RAM when they are all going at once. I don't tend to run an awful lot of virtual instruments as most of my synths are all hardware but I do use alot of VST Effects units, again, fairly sapping of the old RAM. I use Cubase as I like the midi sequencer better but yeah, DAWS (Digital Audio Workstations) do tend to need a bit more RAM, granted through, 32GB is a bit overkill but I originally bought it all to build a wee multimedia rig as well that I never got around to.

I'm not really a gamer at all, I think the only games I play on my Laptop are the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series, hardly taxing on any system these days. I would like a nice big chunky graphics card for more recent games but it would only be when I have the spare cash.

As soon as this brutal hangover disappears i'm going to check my temps and price up some goodies!

@Bryanese, That looks amazing! I will defo pick one of those in the future. I don't tend to use the mouse very much with cubase as I have a few dedicated midi controller but every little helps.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated. :)

6. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

CuBase ... I knew it had to be one or the other. : P

Just going back to what I said: the H100i can be plugged into one of the USB headers on the motherboard and controlled via software from Corsair. You should be able to tune it so that the fans spin at low RPMs and produce next to no noise; saves pulling them off and you'll get better cooling that way. : )

7. Hoor_Paar_Kraat

Cheers, looks like it's going to be my next purchase then, thanks for the info. :)

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Ableton live only uses a max of 4GB ram it it manages perfectly.

9. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

You use 4gb do you... back in the day I used to record 18 channels with 2.4ghz p4 with 512mb.. I swear that programmer are getting lazy with their coding.

six