E3 lolz!

Discussion in 'Topical Discussion' started by Bryanese, Jun 11, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

So, are we all enjoying the despair unfolding online with regards to E3 this year?

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Sony have made MS look awfully silly so far...

I detect imminent U-turns.

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Without talking about a single issue in particular I see where MS are trying to go. Most of it simply is a generation (or two) too early to be accepted by the public. Too much too soon, so to speak. That's not to say they've not done anything stupid.

MS have taken the gamble that the product and brand are strong enough to take the crap in the short term but be ahead of the curve in the long run. Sony have no doubt had exactly the same internal discussions and decided to err on the side of caution.

I'm not saying that I agree with MS but at least they've had the balls to do it. Sony will just wait until it's normal and deemed acceptable by everyone and then do it with the PS5 (or if the gamble pays off for MS possibly even on the inevitable PS4 Slim, it wouldn't surprise me).

The biggest issue for me personally is the used games and unless they've changed their mind again that lies with the publishers. By the time I actually get around to buying one we'll know what the deal is with that and if anyone's actually dared to do it.

In a way I don't particularly mind not being able to buy/sell used games as long as market forces still act to make the prices of titles to drop like a stone once they're no longer new releases. Patience is the word.

Personally I don't really give a toss about any of the other criticisms.

4. latency

latency Existentialist

Cost of games will need to come down drastically for them to get away with this.

PC gamers on steam can't trade and resell, yet you don't hear us complaining.

Why? Because a triple-A game release typically costs £30, often less if you shop around, and any game that's been out longer than six months is usually less than £20, and if you catch it on a steam sale, less than £10.

If I had to pay £40-odd for the majority of my games, I'd want them to hold their value and be resell-able as well.

MS and Sony want the DRM-locked world that we have on steam, and they want their customers to be as content with it as we are- but the economic model is way too different right now.