Dying graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dekadeka, Oct 21, 2015.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

I have a old 280 GTX for a retro tv that only has component in a pc, all was fine till I moved it to spare bedroom to use it for downloadsl

When I moved it back all was fine to I reinstalled Windows 7, it was fine for a while then screen flickered and pc froze, I rebooted pc and it was fine for hours until it went to hibernate and after that it seemed to corrupt the driver as it would be stuck at 800x600 with device manager reporting driver could not start.

I reinstalled this time with Windows 8.1 and it worked fine until I installed the driver over the generic windows one, 10 minutes later it kept saying display driver has stopped and restarted.

Have not tried it since then so can't tell if its just overheating or when moving it I bumped it, I did reaseat

2. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

crack up something like msi Afterburner (I'm sure there's something with a much smaller footprint that's more suitable to the specific task) and watch your temps. If they're running too high try adjusting the fan profiles or crack the heat sink, clean it, and reapply the thermal paste.

3. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

The Card is Knackered. bin it