dvi to vga to component for old crt with correct inputs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dekadeka, Aug 26, 2014.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

Been given(not arrived yet though) a good crt television, it was one of the last ones ever made and 720p compatable and has component inputs.

My real questions on this, first since my graphics card does not have vga out, could I use a dvi to vga adaptor then vga to component or would it have sync issues? I know some hdtvs have a option in menu otherwise it comes through as green.

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

3. dekadeka

It just has 2 DVI outputs, 1 hdmi output and that one I think is called displayport(the ones you can get an adaptor to convert it to hdmi)

It's a 780ti. I do had an older pc with 6870 but that doesnt have vga either, only my 4870 does.

A few years ago I remember trying it the other way round i.e component to vga(as had a business range plasma) and had to adjust a sync option on the plasma.

4. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

You can get DVI to Component adapters for peanuts online. I've seen mixed feedback on whether they work or not however they're the cheapest place to start.

One thing that I think you'll definitely need to make sure is that your card has a DVI-I port on it, which will output analogue. A DVI-D port will only output a digital signal. It's quite common for cards with 2 DVI ports to have one of each so, obviously, once you've confirmed that your card has one make sure that you don't need it for anything else and that you use it.

Probably just best to check the manual for the specific card you have but there's some general info from nVidia here - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...at-is-the-difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d?

5. dekadeka

Thanks, looks like you are correct I have one of each type.

From what I read the main issue is sync on green, tvs need to have an option on tv for this.