Cosmo's 2005 Ford Fiesta ST

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Cosmo_1847, Aug 18, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Axle Spacers and Plates - Day 2 and 4

Day 2 - Monday

It only took me about 30 ~ 40 minutes to remove the right hand stub axle because I'd figured out how to do it on the left. However I wasn't able to use the extension bar through the spring because the exhaust was in the way. Instead I removed the bracket that holds the ABS and handbrake cables and used a a smaller breaker bar or my normal one between the spring and the back of the stub axle, I can't remember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst my trolly jack is low enough to be left under the car like that our driveway slopes, so when I reversed out of the garage when I'd finished working on the car I ran it over and had to pull back into the garage and remove it.

Day 4 - Wednesday

Things started to turn up! My cousin was able to finish working on the stub axle on Monday instead of Saturday like he thought which is great. The caliper paint, number plates and a wire brush were delivered but still not axle spacers yet so I set to work cleaning the painting the calipers.

[​IMG]

Top is my metal pressed number plate and below is the old, manky number plate. It does have two holes but the second goes through a letter so it's been edited out.

[​IMG]

The boot has screw holes designed for the number plate but since I hadn't bought a holder and didn't wanna drill my plates I put a bit of double sided tape over them. I did use more tape when attaching the number plate.

A trick I figured out later when fitting number plates is to get it in position and then use bits of tape to hold the top of it to the car. You can then flip it over and put the double side tape on the back and then flip it back into position.

[​IMG]

I removed the right hand dust cover and tried to figure out how to take the slide pins out of the brake caliper. I wasn't able to do it but the carrier slid off so I just painted that bit instead.

Brake carrier after being wire brushed
    [​IMG]

I covered the holes with masking tape and painted it silver. I'm pretty pleased with it and it doesn't look that shinny in real life.
    [​IMG]

Plenty of meat on the rear brake pads as they were fitted when I got the car. The pads fell out and it was a pain to get it back in as I'd never done it before, it was my cousin who did them.
    [​IMG]

You can see I've wire brushed part of the caliper but it was kinda hard whilst it was loosely attached to the car and moving about.

[​IMG]

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Axle Spacers and Plates - Day 5

Day 5 - Thursday

The axle spacers turned up! I went for 12.5mm axle spacers which increases the rear track of the Fiesta by 25mm so it now matches the front. 20.5mm spacers would have made the wheels sit flush / almost flush with the wheel arches but runs the risk of rubbing if I lowered it in the future. Rubbing is when the tyre hits the wheel arch when the suspension compresses, i.e. hitting a speed bump or pot hole.

The kit includes two spacers, eight bolts and 12 washers. I thought they had extra ones in case you lose them but it turns out they are required to space the bolts out. The ones I bought are pre-filed to fit the ABS sensor on the Fiesta Mk6.

[​IMG]

To remove the dust covers just take a old flat head and put it on the rivet then hit it a few times. This will snap off the end of it leaving a little stub. I left the stub as it doesn't get in the way and helps to line up the axle spacer. When I got it off I cleaned up the beam with a wire brush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left and right stub axles. The left is a new stub axle and bearing with the old hub. The cap is off as an important reminder that the nut is finger tight. If I drove like this it would only be a matter of time before the wheel flew off.

[​IMG]

The car without dust covers or stub axles.

[​IMG]

I wanted it to look like the axle spacers were factory fitted so I painted them black before putting them on the car. I did several coats of Hammerite before giving up and doing two coats of Halfords satin black. You can see the difference in this picture because I was only trying to paint the sides of it that you can see and not the faces, hence one of them being silver still. The cable ties are so I can handle them without touching the paint.

[​IMG]

The new bolts are longer than the old ones to fit the spacers but they are a 8mm Allen head instead of a 17mm hex head. I had to borrow the Allen sockets from my cousin as I don't have my own.

[​IMG]

With the stub axle fitted the top bolts were so very close to the ABS ring on the hub. I was worried that I'd have to cut the bolts down until I figured out why the kit came with 12 washers instead of eight.

[​IMG]

The top bolts have two washers and the bottom bolts have one.

[​IMG]

This is how I put everything back together: Put the top two bolts through the beam then put the axle spacer on and feed the ABS sensor through. The filed down section for the ABS sensor goes towards the front of the car.

[​IMG]

Put the dust shield over the bolts and start to screw on the stub axle. You can line things up and tighten the bolts up (at least the ones I got) with your fingers. The axle spacer has holes for the dust shield which I used to line it up on the old rivet stubs. What I did was attach the ABS sensor loosely before attaching the stub axle and then tighten it up from behind.

[​IMG]

The left stub axle all fitted and torqued :D Now the car will now longer eat its left rear tyre.

[​IMG]

My torque wrench is shorter than my breaker bar. When I was thinking about dropping the rear axle to remove the springs so I could get to the back of the stub axles I moved my axle stands from the rear beam to the jacking points. I think in doing so it let my rear suspension droop, letting me get my touch wrench inside the wheel arch.

[​IMG]

Back of the stub axle with spacers fitted. Two washers on the top bolts and one on the bottom. An important thing to note is that I was able to do all of the bolts up finger tight apart from the bottom one close to the rear of the car. This was because the new bolts go through the stub axle further than the old ones so it had rusted. Don't worry about this as I was able to do the bolt all the way up using my torque wrench. I had to borrow a torque wrench from my friend to do the hub bolt up as mine only went up to 200 Nm.

[​IMG]

It's still on the axle stands so the suspension is in full droop in this picture.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty pleased with this as it makes the wheels feel the arches much better and it's a good sign of my confidence doing this kinda of work on my car. Here's a picture of the car the morning of Ford Fair after it's had a wash. Driving the 220 round trip to Silverstone after doing this work made me paranoid about any small noising coming from the rear. It didn't help that I ran over a bit of wheel trim on a roundabout which made a noise and shot a silver circle out into the car behind me.

[​IMG]

I hope that you guys have enjoyed reading this and that if you're thinking about doing this it serves you as a guide :D

Torque Settings
    ABS sensor: 9 Nm (I just did it until it felt reasonable)
    ABS / handbrake cable bracket: 9 Nm
    Brake carrier: 60 Nm
    Stub axle: 66 - 70 Nm
    Lower rear suspension mount: 115 Nm
    Wheel hub nut: 235 Nm

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey all. I'd been working on my Nissan throughout the week, replacing the CV boot after work before it got dark. Even with the Nissan on jack stands it's still just about lower than the fiesta.

[​IMG]

The day after I'd finished working on the Nissan I was walking back into the house past the Fiesta and noticed that the exhaust was hanging very low. I knew I'd done something in the crash but it was so much lower than that. This was the first day of my two week holiday too so I needed to get it fixed before we went away in my second week :eek:

I drove my fiesta to the CBT test centre and you could hear the exhaust banging around, hitting things like the rear beam. I should have taken the Nissan instead as the exhaust was worse on the way home. At the CBT centre I parked next to a 14 plate van and BMW and a 55 plate lotus.

[​IMG]

I passed my CBT and when I do my direct access I get to ride this:

[​IMG]

I jacked up the Fiesta and took a wheel off to get a better look. (The jack stand is on the rear beam but looks like it's on the exhaust)

[​IMG]

What had happened was the rear most exhaust hanger had snapped and the other one couldn't coup on its own. Looking under the car there is a beam that goes across the exhaust tunnel and it looks like the exhaust has been swinging about and hitting it, bending it.

[​IMG]

I got the car booked into the garage and tied the up with rope between the tow hook and exhaust bracket to stop is swinging about so much. When it swung from side to side it could hit the suspension spring.

[​IMG]

I dropped the car off at the garage and picked it up the next day. It only cost me £48 this time but they told me the rear exhaust section was on it's way out. I'll be looking at cat backs at some point. The Fiesta exhaust is one piece and I didn't want it cut up as I like to be able to undo things but since that part is on it's way out it's okay :)

They welded the bracket back on and added a support to both the brackets on the back box. I'm now really pleased that the exhaust sits in it's rightful position again :)

[​IMG]

Here's a nice photo I took on my phone by accident

[​IMG]

To find out more about my CBT test you can read this blog post.

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Before going on holiday I washed the cars and also decided to polish my exhaust tip since mine had always been matte grey with dirty. I used something called Autosol (I think) and it would have been easier to clean when it was hanging low.

Here's it part cleaned. Left hasn't been touched, middle has been a bit and the right has been polished.
    [​IMG]

Here's it finished. At some point I might unhook the hangers to let to hang low so I can clean the whole tip and also give the lip a better clean.
    [​IMG]

The first thing I wash on the car is the wheels. I just use a brush and the hose pipe to wash away the dirt and look how shiny they are!
    [​IMG]

Before the clean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left always gets dirtier as I drive on country roads sometimes from work and have to pull onto the verge to let cars past / avoid crashing into them.
    [​IMG]

I got an AutoBrite snow foam lance and Magifoam snow foam to clean the cars with. I figured this would be good for quick cleans to get rid of all the dust / pollen we get on our cars.

[​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

During
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the car had been snow foamed and rinsed I gave it a good clean with my lamp mitt and microfibers. Before washing the outside I hoovered the inside and checked all my fluid levels. Don't forget to give your wiper blades a wipe with a rag to clean the crap off of them.

The car all nice and clean for like the 10th time since I bought it :D
    [​IMG]

- - -

B&Q and Autobrite are doing deals are the moment so I got about £10 off the lance and dad got a load of the pressure watcher. The lance and 5L of snow foam came to about £65 delivered and we bought a Karcher K4 Premium Ecologic for about £295 since our old Karcher had packed in after about 10 years of use. The only issue I have with the pressure washer is that the hose isn't long enough so you have to move the pump around the car

5. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Yours look great. Mine is bad. There's not a word for my mum's. We worked out the other day that aside from a couple of very quick hoovers inside, my mum hasn't cleaned her car since she bought it. Near enough 5 years.

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I had the car booked in at my local Ford dealer ship to have new badges fitted under warranty since mine where horrible. It took them an hour and a half to fit new badges and do a free 30 point safety check on the car. Oh and they still have the previous owner's details on file which was confusing.

According to them my alignment is out (I have spacers) and one tyre is 94% worn, the one that was on the bent stub axle. I'll look into getting that replaced before winter and might go for a part warn and get both rears done next year.

Here you can see my old and new badges on the front and rear of the car.

[​IMG]

I don't have a goal for the car but it's looking a lot nicer now

[​IMG]

In that pic you can see the smooth wiper arm, new badge, pressed metal plates, axle spacers (well the wheels sticking out more) and the fixed and polished exhaust. I don't know where I'm going next with this car, I might only want to do a few mods / upgrades when parts need to be replaced or go proper mental on it. Something I've read is about doing a 2.3L engine build / swap.

Hope you guys enjoy reading this and it has helpful information. Oh almost forgot; If your Ford is under 10 years old and the badges have gone you can get new ones fitted under warranty. The dealer can claim the cost of the part back from Ford but they have to pay for the labor. I made sure I didn't have to pay anything before they touched my car.

7. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Brake Fluid

In October (yes, I'm very behind with this) I took my car to the Ford dealership to have the brake fluid replaced and the engine management version checked. Since I had the badges done the dealership had moved very near by house so I was able to drop the car off before work and walk home to take the Nissan.

I suspected that the PCM version was not the latest because the car revs are kinda funny when cold. When I came to the stop with the clutch down it would rev to 2,000 rpm for a few seconds before dropping down to 1,000rpm.

The reason I took the car to Ford was because my friends recommended it for the brake fluid. Something about getting air in the ABS pump and only they could do it properly.

A nice surprise was that they cleaned the car inside and out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the pressed plates where you can see the raised text.

[​IMG]

I spent £45 getting the brake fluid replaced but the brake fluid res still looked like this afterwards

[​IMG]

Lots of scum still floating about in the res which I'm not happy about. I also wasn't happy that my check engine light was now on.

[​IMG]

It turns out that the check engine light was somehow caused by them checking the PCM version and it went off after a few days. They wanted £50 for the PCM update which is annoying because the previous owner could have had it done for free under warranty. The only reason I go to the dealership is because it's something I can't do myself or it's highly recommended that I don't try myself, like the brake fluid.

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

When moving to another location during the car meet one of the guys said I had a brake light out. So unlike most people I see on the road, I went and fixed it :eek:

[​IMG]

I had to open my Haynes manual to figure out how to remove the tail lights. My Fiesta is the pre-facelift which has a wing nut on the tail light. There is a flap of carpet that you fold down to get to the connector and the wing nut is just below that. You can see the holes in the centre of the picture. You can also see how dirty it was and that someone has written the number two on it :confused:

[​IMG]

I noticed that the top corner of the tail light had rubbed through the paint to the metal so I gave it a quick paint before I put it back on. It's hidden and just to stop it from rusting.

[​IMG]

I've highlighted the six clips that hold the light circuit onto the tail light. You can also see the connector and the bolt the wing nut goes onto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick test to see that the new bulb was working. I used a bike pump between the chair and brake peddle to get the light to come on.

[​IMG]

When I got the car back from Ford the check engine light was on. After a few days of driving about it went off so whatever had caused it went away. Before that I had ordered a OBD-II to USB connector and found some free Ford (and Mazda) software called ForScan. I connect the adapter into the car and it can tell me the error codes. I can also clear them and run self tests.

It's also got data logging so I took it out for a little drive with the laptop in the passenger's foot well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Yes, I know I took a picture instead of a screenshot)

Eight weeks later...

...my nice clean car looked like this :eek::D I drive on single lane country roads from work sometimes so I have to pull over sometimes to let cars past. It's so hard not to spin the passenger's wheel when pulling away on grass.

[​IMG]

9. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

This winter has not been kind to my cars, the battery in both of them died and needed to be replaced. The fiesta also needed a new tyre, spring, shock absorber and a damn good clean.

My Nissan is a damn quick car when you want it to be so when I almost span out in the Fiesta on a roundabout doing half the speed I decided to check the tyres. I knew which one to check because the bent stub axle has been putting uneven wear on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left to right the tread depth reads: 1, 1.6, 3 and 4mm. I got a good quality part-worn tyre put on as I plan to replace all four tyres later on instead of each tyre as needed.

[​IMG]

Both my cars were struggling to start in the mornings, even if they had been on charge the night before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installing the battery was pretty easy, just make sure the positive is the first to be removed and the last to be reinstalled. The new battery in the Nissan was harder to install because the positive and negative where swapped around.

[​IMG]

Make sure you have you radio code to hand before you change the battery! If you don't you'll have to phone up the dealership. To enter the code you push the buttons the number of times required. For example if the first number is 4 you push 1 four times.

I've had an idea of having my Fiesta in the header banner of my website for a while so I went out to take some pictures of it. The weather was kinda crappy and I left my car dirty on purpose because that's often how is it.

[​IMG]

This is on of the pictures I didn't use. To see what one I did visit my website in my sig.

I don't wash my car very much, in fact it has been five month since I last washed it. Since I was going up to see family I decided to give it a good clean :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tada!

[​IMG]

However since then I have done about 1,200 miles in two months and about 150 litres of petrol so it's dirty again. I had two big trips and the Fiesta can be alright on petrol if you're just doing one speed for a long time. It can also be very, very loud because you're doing 3,500rpm to 4,000rpm the whole time at motorway speeds and depending on the road.

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I've been shopping :D

[​IMG]

This is the craziest impulse buy yet, second only to the car itself :eek:

I got a Piper manifold, Piper sports cat, Piper back box with resonated centre. Also 3/8" torque wrench and calliper rewind tool kit so I can work on the rear brakes.