Cosmo's 2005 Ford Fiesta ST

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Cosmo_1847, Aug 18, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

Nice to see your car back to good health.

Also nice to see someone who has similar attention to detail to their cars as myself.

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hehe thanks. I have a backlog of posts to edit and write. I also have a backlog of blogs too that I keep putting off.

I've still got to fix the side skirts and get the AC regassed. I also have a rumble from the left rear to investigate.

Things to come: Wheel alignment, Ford Life meet, Induction Kit install and Brake lines install.

3. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

Rumble from left rear could be a bearing. Might be an idea to look at that before you get a wheel alignment... :)

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

About a week after I finished rebuilding the front of the car I took my car to F1 Autocare and got my tracking done. Thanks to the guys there for letting me around the ramps to grab the pics.

They have a Hunter wheel alignment machine. They attach these things to the wheels and raise the car up so they can adjust the geometry with the car's weight on the suspension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the toe was out a fair bit which happens when your right wheel suddenly has the weight of the car pivoting off of it.
    [​IMG]

Cost about £50 to get done. I should have just asked my cousin nicely to do it at his work. I wanted it done soon so it didn't munch my new tyres.

I have been munching my tyres a bit wheel spinning them when it's been slippery out. Last week we tired getting the AC regassed but the machine decided to have a smoke break and piddle bright green liquid on the floor instead. Once it's fixed we'll try again.

Sorry to anyone at that garage who wants their AC regassed :eek:

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hi all, I've been doing some work on my car.

The Sunday before Christmas I reinstalled the fog lights. I broke the mounts on one of them during the crash but the mounting points on the car are mirrored so I was just able to swap them over.

[​IMG]

Whilst I was working on the fog lights my dad came home and pulled in tight on the drive to give me more room. In doing so he hit a brush root that punctured his tyre. Within 30 seconds it was flat. Dad needed his car later in the week so I took the wheel off and drove it down to Honda and spent £135 and 20 mins getting a new tyre fitted. (Edit: This tyre had only done about 2000 miles.)

[​IMG]

I'd bent one of the clips on the front, top grill; making it very hard to remove. What I did was put it in very hot water and then bend it back into shape. I then put it back in the water with something weighing it down to bend it more.

When the front grill flew off it bent one of the clips at right angles which makes it very hard to remove. I put it in very hot water and bent it back into shape then put it back in with something weighing it down.

[​IMG]

I took one of the spark plugs out and looked at it. It seems okay to me but I'm sure someone on here will tell me if it's bad.

[​IMG]

The front looks alright now, as if nothing had every happened mwhahaha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is the sideskirts. Cyas soon :)

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Ford Fiesta Mk6 ST Sideskirt Removal

Hey all. I've looked around on the internet for a guide to remove Ford Fiesta Mk6 ST sideskirts but the best I could find was "just pull them". So here's my guide. Hope it helps.

When I crashed the car slide sideways and the sideskirt got pulled in the middle, breaking the clips off. There are nine small clips on the side and three large ones in the bottom that I couldn't figure out how to remove. After getting annoyed I took a flat blade screwdriver and stuck it under the large mount points. Push it up against the sill and the large clip will pop out, showing you in dirt. I found it easier to do this with the car jacked up.

[​IMG]

The reason the clips are so hard to remove it because they're not designed to. There is a pin that when pushed into place makes the head expand. You can only push the pin out from the top which you can't get to when it's in place.

[​IMG]

Ta da!

[​IMG]

I've circled the small mounting points on the side of the sideskirt and you can see the three big ones at the bottom. The small, middle one was ripped off and bent.

[​IMG]
    Click for a bigger picture

Some of the others had also been pulled off on one side so I reinforced / attached them with my hot glue gun.

[​IMG]

This one was pulled right off and bent out of shape so I left it in hot water and bent it back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes. You did need to see a picture of a hot glued mount point. You know you did.

As you can see I had to glue most of them.

[​IMG]
    Click for a bigger picture

There are nine small holes in total along the side.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Rear:
    [​IMG]

The small clips are Audi / VW part number 893867290 and you will need nine in total for each side. I got a pack of 10 for £2.75 off eBay. I left the small clips on the side of the car when I removed the sideskirt but I later found out you will need to remove all of them and attach them to the sideskirt to reinstall it.

Hope this guide was helpful to someone and more to come :) at some point.... These things take me an hour or two to edit the pictures, write and rewrite :eek:

7. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey all, I try to do my posts in the order they happened but eh. Yesterday I took the car back to the garage to get the AC regassed. The machine smoked again but I remember something about water in a vacuum boiling so I think it was just steam. We tried regassing it but there was a problem. With four bored mechanics to had we got a bottle of nitrogen and hooked it up to the system. It came out as fast as it when in :eek:

There's a big hole in the AC condensator somewhere so I've ordered a new one. Afterwards I got my cousin to check the rear bearings but he couldn't find anything until we took it for a test drive and hit 50mph. Weaving from side to side in neutral at 50 ~ 70mph he diagnosed it as the left one. I thought it was that but not being a mechanic I wasn't sure.

Euro Car Parts have a sale on this weekend so I've ordered a AC condensator and rear wheel bearing for £145~. To install the condensator I will have to rebuild the front of the car again like I did with the slam panel. So if there is any pictures you guys want taking let me know before the weekend.

Total repair cost is just over £450 so far including getting the tracking done :eek:

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I ordered a EIS condenser and a SNR wheel bearing on Sunday and today I got a Delphi condenser and a FAG wheel bearing. I'm happy with the parts I got and the speed I got them at cos I went for free shipping :)

I think Euro Car Parts might be trying to say something though...
    [​IMG]

I've always wanted a fag on my car...

9. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Cleaing Up

I got a new trolly jack and axle stands. I had ordered a 2.5 ton one but they were out of stock so I got the 1.5 ton one instead. Really glade I did as it's pretty heavy for me at 17Kg. I also got a Meguiars lamp wool wash mitt and a little brush for the alloy wheels.

[​IMG]

This is the first clean the car's had since I bought it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started with the alloy wheels and made my first mistake. I removed the pole from the jack which is spring loaded so it shot up. I had to use a 1/2" socket extension bar to lower the jack so I could pull it out and put the bar back on.

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've cleaned alloy wheels by hand. I used the jet washer last time and took off some of the paint. I removed the wheels from the car to make it easier to clean them and so I could clean the back of them.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned the wheels by spraying wheel cleaner on them then going it at with the brush. I found after a bit you couldn't tell what was clean and what was still dirty so I kept using the hose to spray it clean then kept brush. I had no idea my wheels where that silver or that the backs of them are white.

I then cleaned the car. Pre-wash, jet wash, wash with mitts and two buckets then wash off the suds. I think it started raining otherwise I'd of dried the car too.

I cleaned the side whilst it was off the car because it was easier; this is what it looked liked before:
    [​IMG]

Here you can just about seen the nine clips.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't get the side skirt on until I figured out you're meant to put the clips on the side skirt first, not the car. To remove the clips you just need a bit of wire wrapped around them. There's an indent to help you pull them straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the clean car with it's side skirts back on :) The last picture is after a few days of driving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

More Side Skirt repairs

When I fitted my side skirt after cleaning the car it would pull away from the top if I put in the bottom centre clip so I left the larger bottom clips off. The following weekend I pulled the side skirt off the car which pulled some of the mounting points off again.

I set to work reenforcing / reattaching the pointing points again.
    [​IMG]

I noticed that the bottom centre mount point was bent and assumed this was why the top center would pull away when I put in the large clip. I fixed this by using a hot air gun and bending it back into shape.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

When looking at the mount points on the car I realised something wasn't right. The middle mount point was sticking out a bit and as I looked further round towards the bottom I saw this:

[​IMG]

I'd put a massive dent in the seal when I crashed the car. The wood and trolly jack are to show you how bent it is. It's not putting any pressure on it. It's a big dent and I've put some paint where it came off (see the matte patch). Since this is hidden by the side skirt I'm just gonna leave it alone.

When I got the car it came with a new jacking point cover and some cans of paint. I had painted it before but soon as I used the clear coat that came with the car it went all bubbly. I sanded it back, painted it again and used some new clear coat. Once it was all dry I put it back on the car. The colour might not be the best of matches in the world but it's less noticeable than a missing jack cover.

[​IMG]

11. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey all. I've not updated in a while even though I've been working on the car. Today I took the car drag racing. This was my first time and I had a lot of fun even though the weather wasn't that good. It was a bit cold and windy but the rain stayed away :)

It was £10 admission and £25 signing on. I did a total of four runs.

[​IMG]

First race was against a Subaru Impreza WRX estate which beat me. We sat for about 10 mins as they needed to sort out the timing gates at the end. As this was my first time I wasn't sure that I was staged so I was in neutral when the lights went green. I grabbed first and just went for it :)

[​IMG]

I was against him again for our second go but we swapped lanes. He got a false start and I got wheel spin.

[​IMG]

This shows you how much the suspension moves. First pic I'm reversing into the staging area and second pic I've gone for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Subaru I went up against.

[​IMG]

For some reason my 'sporty' ST150 is a really tall car. (Behind the green Nissan)

[​IMG]

Third race was against a Honda Civic Type R. As we were pulling into the area one of the marshals came over and told me I had to beat him, which I did :) I was able to control my wheel spin and get away when he struggled. It's the silver Civic on the left.

[​IMG]

As we were queuing to go out for my last go the owner of this Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 diesel Mountune MRD270 asked if he could race me so we did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw this very nice Subaru Impreza STI parked up :)

[​IMG]

It was a good day out with a friend but after spending eight hours there I was tired. You really need to go with a friend so one you have somewhere warm to sit and someone to drive your car forwards in the queue when you need to pee.

The poor car spent a lot of time on idle and then getting ragged. I hit 7000rpm ish in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears; only using 4th on my last run.

Run 1:
    Me: 16.47s terminating at 83mph
    Subaru: 15.91s terminating at 86mph

Run 2: 16.57s @ 84mph
    Run 3: 16.40s @ 84mph

Run 4:
    Me: 16.40s @ 83mph
    MRD270: 18.20 @ 76mph

It was a great experience and we had a lot of fun :)

Edit: Thanks to my friend for taking the photos :)

12. Diamentes

Diamentes New Member

Some decent times for your first day drag racing

13. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Dyno Day

At one of the meet ups I heard about a dyno day. I was unsure about going but for some reason I woke up at 7am on the day so I went along. About six of us met up nearby before driving down to AMD Essex.

My car went on first because of all the cars there at the start it was closest to stock.
    [​IMG]

It makes a pretty nice sounds then at 3000rpm it roars at you. It's kinda weird standing that close when you're car is accelerating to 100mph just next to you!
    [​IMG]

Rob's Toyota Celica GT-4 ran 286.9 BHP (34 BHP more than stock) and was the most powerful car there of the day!

[​IMG]

It also killed a polar bear...
    [​IMG]

Jak's Fiesta Mk5 1.6L Zetec S ran 116 BHP with just a exhaust and air intake, that's 16 BHP over stock!
    [​IMG]

There was a nice pair of Fiesta Mk7 ST180s out front.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My ST150 only performance mod is a Mountune CAIS but with that I was able to get 154 BHP, that's 6 / 7 BHP over stock which I'm really pleased at. Everyone had their bonnets open apart from my poor, abused fiesta which I later found out was low on oil and coolant. First run is in red, second is in blue.

[​IMG]
    Click for bigger picture

It was interesting to see how straight my power curve is and where the peak power is. I'd been reving it all the way to 7,000rpm but I think now I'll shift at 6,500rpm.

It was a good morning out and fun driving some place in a group and giving our cars a thrash :)
    [​IMG]

14. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

On the bank holiday we met up round a friends and cleaned four of the cars including Connor's black ST and my blue one. Connor has lowered his car 50mm where as I have stock suspension. We also t-cut a small part of mine which improved the scratches it's got all down the passenger's side (cause by the previous owner). This was the only picture I got before my battery died but it's a good one :)

[​IMG]

Third time lucky regassing the AC. First time my scrap yard AC condenser was bent and we managed to gas a mechanic :/ Second time I spent £115 on a new AC condenser only to find that the O rings were no good. £6 and two / three months later the car was back and this time it worked :D

[​IMG]

I now have cold air when I want it and my cousin also did my tyres and topped up my coolant and washer bottle whilst we were waiting for it. In typical style the AC machine stopped and had to be regassed itself before we could finish my car.

[​IMG]

You see the black Audi A3 in the top right? I reversed into it :( I did it very very slowly but enough to dent his door and damage the paint on his car and chip the paint and scratch the corner of the bumper on my car >.<

The guy was a good as gold about it as this is the first time I've bumped into someone. I was really worried that he'd be angry but he was glade that I came forward and told him I bumped into him and we're getting it sorted out without going through insurance.

15. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Mods

Mods Done
    • Front aero wipers and smooth rear wiper
    • Front mist washers
    • Mountune Cold Air Induction System (CAIS)
    • Hel Stainless steel brake lines (front and back)
    • Sico Development bonnet structs
    • Heko wind deflectors

Planned Mods
    • DMB gel overlays (Already bought)
    • Vinyle roof wrap and strips
    • New manifold or wrap the existing one
    • Refurb wheels
    • Pressed plates

When I got the car I was thinking of only doing performance / handling mods and keeping the car looking stock. However there are so many stock blue ST150s about that I want to make mine look a bit different from the rest but still looking kinda factory.

16. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

When my friend got his new ST180 he asked if I wanted to see it so we met up and took some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's got a Mountune lower airbox on it already even tho when we took the pictures he'd had the car less than a week. It makes a really nice induction noise when he boots it and he boots it everywhere :cool:

He had a Mk6 before this so I bought his wind deflectors off of him.

17. jon bda

jon bda Mission From God...

Thought i recognised that from another forum i'm on for a moment but its not the same one...was gonna say its a good job you didn't get put against it if it was the one i thought it was!
    :D

18. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

My friend (with the White ST180) came over and helped me look at why my left rear wheel had positive camber (and extra toe I think).

The first thing we noticed, and I wonder why I hadn't noticed it before, was the very uneven wear on the tyre. Inside on the left, outside on the right. The right hand tyre has even wear but I'll probably be replacing both with Kumho KU39 205/40R17, I might even look into getting wider tyres.

[​IMG]

My friend pointed out that the brake dust shield is mounted to the axle beam but the hub, wheel and disc are mounted to the stub axle. It was clear that the top of the disc was sticking out of the shield but the bottom wasn't.

[​IMG]

Since I don't have a bearing puller or a press we weren't able to go any further. I'll either me taking the car to my cousin or just removing this part and taking that to him with the new bits.

[​IMG]

Thanks to my friend's help I now knew it was the stub axle that I needed as I had been looking at whole ST axles with hubs, calipers and discs. I ordered the Optimal 04-P293 from Rexbo.eu for 50 € inc taxes and shipping compared to Ford's £145 + Shipping + VAT.

[​IMG]

I popped to B&Q to pick up something for my grandad and whilst I was there I picked up some things for me. Ended up spending about £40 on cleaning gear :eek: (That's nothing compared to some of my mates.)

[​IMG]

I think this is the forth time my car's ever been cleaned and I might look into getting snow foam since a lot of dirt comes from the air and the nearby trees. The tar remover worked great for removing my drag racing numbers which I couldn't get off with a jet washer from point blank range.

I used RainX on all the windows but noticed I hadn't cleaned it off properly when I was at car meet. The window microfiber cloth is amazing and works well on my glasses too :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In those pictures you can kinda see the positive camber the left rear wheel has on it. Before I cleaned the car I had the bonnet open and noticed that coolant was low again even tho it has been maxed when I took it to my cousin's. I looked around and noticed a coolant leak from where the hose connects to the thermostat. You can also see the wind deflectors.

It takes me a while to get around to editing the photos and writing about these. Yesterday the postman dropped off some parcels and asked "Do you mind if I'm nosy and ask: how much did you pay for my car?" The previous owner was his wife :eek: He says he's taken the car to Ford and Ford Racing to get the left rear wheel looked at because it was really uneven wear on tyres. Both said there was nothing that could be done but an hour with my mate and we confirmed it was the stub axle.

Since the weather has been hot I've been using my aircon which is nice but doesn't seem as cold as it should. I've noticed that it gets colder when turning right. Yesterday I noticed a hissing sound just after I turn the engine off when I've had the air con running so I suspect I have another leak somewhere. It's very annoying since no leaks were found when my cousin tested it. I also replaced one and checked all the hose clamps on the car.

Oh yeah. Since I'm replacing the stub axle I've decided to get 12.5mm axle spacers for my car. The wheels sit a bit far in the arches so I think it would look nice to bring them further out. I'm trying to get them from my mate at Ford since real parts are cheap and the kits are just real parts and eight bolts for twice the price.

19. Joffrey

Joffrey Moderator

Car's looking good mate..Funny about the postman though!

20. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Axle Spacers and Plates - Day 1

As you guys should know by now; it takes me a while to get around to editing the photos and writing this stuff. About a month in this case. I was planning to work on my car over a weekend; replacing the stub axle and installing axle spacers whilst I was there. I've been meaning to get this done for a while but there wasn't a good time to take the car down and get my cousin to do it. Instead I was going to take the stub axle off and give it to him with the new parts for him to do it when he had a quite moment at work.

I got a message from my friend who I've not seen in two years saying that he'll be down a week on Monday. This gave me a deadline to finish the car and spurred me on to do some other bits on the car. I ordered by axle spacers and decided to get some caliper paint and pressed plates for the car. I've wanted to clean up the brake calipers for a while and figured I might as well do this whilst I was working on that area of the car.

Note: Please read all the parts if you're planning to work on your car as I work out better ways later on.

Here's the car before I begun working on it.
    [​IMG]

With the car on axle stands and the wheel off you can see the brake caliper. There are two 13mm nuts that hold the carrier onto the stub axle. If you are just installing the axle spacers you don't have to remove the brake caliper like I did. I removed them because the stub axle was being replaced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm fairly weak so I used my breaker bar wherever I could. This worked on the bottom brake caliper nut but for the top I had to use the longest 13mm spanner I could find and a lot of force to get it lose as the brake line meant there wasn't enough space for my socket.
    [​IMG]

The hand brake cable is on top and can be removed by hand. If you're having trouble you might need pillars. I really struggled to get one of them back on so I used mole grips on it.
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of the back of the stub axle where the front is the left of the photo. The brake caliper is held out of the way by a cable tie so the brake hose isn't stressed. Here you can see the four 17mm nuts that hold the back of the stub axle on, the ABS speed sensor going and the ABS cable / handbrake cable bracket on the left. The ABS and the bracket are a 8mm nut and I recommend you remove the left bracket to get it out of the way to make it easier to get to the nuts.

[​IMG]

I had read some bits online and the ford workshop manual for removing the stub axle but I was still figuring out bits by myself. As there wasn't much space back there and I needed to use my breaker bar I used a foot long extension and went through the spring.

[​IMG]

I sprayed the nuts with penetration fluid and let it soak first. That's what you can see on the suspension shock. You can also see that I've tucked the handbrake cable under the beam to keep it out of the way.
    [​IMG]

I was able to remove the stub axle nuts and the nut for the ABS sensor but not the ABS sensor itself. I got my trolly jack to rest the stub axle. Using a 19mm spanner about the base of the sensor I turned it back and forth whilst pulling it away from the stub axle to get it off. You can also see the white rivets that hold the dust shield on.

[​IMG]

Close up of the ABS sensor and one rivet holding the dust shield on.
    [​IMG]

I pulled the ABS sensor through the dust shield and beam and tucked it out of the way. The stub axle removed from the car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up showing that it's a bit bent.
    [​IMG]

I keep most of my car fluids along the left hand wall of the garage. To be able to work on both sides of the car without moving it I had to move all of this stuff onto the driveway whilst I was working on the car and then put it back afterwards.

[​IMG]

It took me about three hours to get the left stub axle off. Once it was done I took the stub axle and the new parts over to my cousin so he could do it at work.

Edit: I missed out a picture.

Here you can see the back of the old stub axle with bearing and hub and the new stub axle.

[​IMG]