Cosmo's 2005 Ford Fiesta ST

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Cosmo_1847, Aug 18, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Insurance have been told and my premium isn't affected :D Good thing I didn't go with Quote Me Happy as they don't let you mod your car.

2. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

I hate fitting braided lines. :(

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

New Tyres and Unseizing a hanger

Last Friday I tried fitting the Moutune Cold Air Intake System and managed to get the pipes and air filter on before I had to head over to my cousin's work and get the tyres put on and rear brake hanger fixed. I got two Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 205/40 R17 for the front. One of the wheels is a bit buckled but with lots of weights put in the right place it's alright.

[​IMG]

The top two tyres came off mine. We knew it would need some tyres when I bought it, it was just a matter of getting around to fitting them (after deciding to buy the car, fix it for it's MOT and then paying for it).
    [​IMG]

We also sorted out my left rear brake hanger which had seized. Now it's all fixed and it won't munch my new pads and disc :)
    [​IMG]

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Just a quick update. The Mountune CAIS is installed. Not to happy with the placement of the bottom box as it's higher than the bottom of the front intake. Also been working on the brake lines. Snapped the nuts of the rear too undoing them and rounded one of the front screws so tomorrow I'm gonna phone a machine shop to see if they can get the brake line off the calliper. Three of the lines are done, just the rounded one to go.

New brake lines look good. Would have been nice if I hadn't killed the old brake lines getting them off :(

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Spinning

I got my brakes done and was really pleased with myself. This evening I took the car for a spin on some country roads. Then it took me for a spin :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm alright, just shaken. A massive thank you to the people who stopped and pulled me out and for my parents for coming to get me. I drove the car home about 8 or so miles. I struggled a lot to reverse it up the drive and into the garage because the front wheels are pointing different directions.

6. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

It's good to hear your okay. What happened?

Edit: First picture makes it look like the o/s sill is bent. I hope it isn't, and I hope you're fully comp!

7. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Excellent to hear that you're alright!

Seriously, though, my condolences; I know the pain of a battered and bruised Fiesta:

[​IMG]

If it's any consolation, at least yours is drivable!

8. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Oh dear. Time to test that insurance then :(

Did you fit the brakes right!? Well, could have been a lot worse I'm sure.

9. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey guys. Thanks for the concern. I'm alrigtht, not even a sore knee the next day.

I do have fully comp insurance but I will be repairing it out of my own pocket. The cost of parts will be cheaper than my excess + increased premiums for years to come.

Capa, I think what you're seeing there is the plastic body kit that's been pushed up. I've not really looked under the car but the track rod end is "wavey". Bent the front right wing a bit when the bumper got ripped off and the bumper is damaged but can be repaired.

Brakes worked just fine. I'd been out a few times that day; the first I was testing the brakes and making sure they worked. It sucks that I crashed but I'm not hurt and the car isn't too bad.

My friend thinks it's good that I've crashed cos I can be a bit cocky driving with them and they wonder how bad I am on my own.

PS, in the last pic the car is facing the way it came from. I was going pretty fast when I lost it and went off the opposite side of the road sideways. Nobody else was in the car and the roads were empty. I should have known better than to drive fast on roads I don't know in the dark.

10. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

Relax. Bottom line you are okay and that's that. I'm not rolling in on a high horse here as I do exactly the same thing; I take steps to minimize the risk to other road users by running late at night or early in the morning when there are few people around, but essentially I find a nice bit of well surfaced road and give my car a damn good hammering.

I can understand the lack of wanting to use insurance in your case, and at least you'll avoid the the car being declared as Cat D or whatever. Having said that, the repairs could well run quite high to sort something out like that properly. I don't have much in the way of knowledge of increased premiums to compare it to mind, I have a clean record *knocks wood, hard*.

Hopefully you're right and it is just the chassis rail. What does the front crash beam look like, out of interest?

From what I can fathom, you lost the back end in a FWD car. You definitely get points for effort, there! :)

11. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

The Damage and Tie Rod Replacement

Hi all, I went out to get some pics of the car but ended up working on it for an hour to two and didn't put the pictures up. I bent the mounting holes on the wings back into shape, took the bumper apart and remove the wheel arch linings and headlights. Just fixing the mountings and figuring out what parts I had damaged.

I was getting stressed / down because I couldn't find a car part I needed but after working on the car some more and mending the bits I could made me happier. Today I picked up the tie rod and tie rod end my cousin had got me and fitted them.

This is the bend that I crashed on and you can see my green Nissan a few meters down the road from where the fiesta crashed. The bend looks a lot tighter in the day and the road looks pretty smooth.

[​IMG]

I took off my induction kit as the cold air pipe was touching the ground. No idea how it managed to stay up when I was driving back. I've also taken off the headlights.

[​IMG]

Damage Report
    • Front / Slam panel snapped (bottom left of pic)
    • AC Rad mangled
    • Radiator Mangled (Slow leak too)
    • Bent tie rod
    • Fan housing damaged
    • Left fog light mount is damaged.

The AC has a leak somewhere but only when I run it; I will be getting it drained before I replace the front. The mountings for the left fog light is broken but since the mounts are mirrored I can just swap it with the right once I've fixed the bumper. I have also broken some clips on the side skirts and removed the best part of a field from them.

The steering wheel and left wheel are pointing straight ahead. The right one is not.
    [​IMG]

And this is why:
    [​IMG]

I got a new tie rod and tie rod end from Euro Car Parts for £50. It's always a good idea to compare new and old parts before installing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yep it's f**ked. I used a hacksaw to remove the old tie rod end cos when I was undoing the nut the ball joint span.

I had to take off the old tie rod end to get the nut and boot. I counted the turns when I took it off so it when I put the new tie rod on it the tracking wouldn't be out too much. I used a cable tie to hold the boot on to the steering rack. Now both wheels point in the same direction :)

[​IMG]

I put the lights back on and took it for a little drive to see how it was. Didn't go far because I had no front bumper or fans. I noticed that one of the clips on the right light was broken but it doesn't stop be from using it. It's the first time it's moved in two weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rope is there just in case the rads decide to part with the car. I put the fan, wheel arch liners and front bumper back on so I can drive it across town to get the air con de-gassed. The number plate, front grills and left fog light aren't fitted. I need to do the right wheel liner and bumper attachments but I parked it too close to the wall.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions or want a picture or something just let me know.

12. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hmm. As I thought: my exhaust has moved >.

13. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I've rebuilt the front over this weekend and will have pictures / story for you tomorrow. I took it out for a drive but stuck to main roads; nothing twisty this time.

14. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Saturday Morning - AC Degas

I took the car to my cousin's work to get the air con degassed before I started working on it. To get to the low pressure side you need to remove the right hand side headlight which annoyed my cousin. Almost as much as the radiator moving when he was trying to get the connector on and off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst there he raised it on the ramp and had a check around. He said it all looks good :D I bent part of my heat shield back into shape but that was it.

[​IMG]

This is what the car looked like when driving it about.

[​IMG]

15. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Saturday Afternoon - Front Rebuild

This is how the car looked before any of the work began. You can see that the grills and left fog light are missing. The induction kit housing isn't fitted and the fog lights have already been disconnected.

[​IMG]

I began work on the driveway; removing the wheel liners, bumper and headlights. The wheel liners are held on with six Torx T25 bolts: two into the bumper, one on the rear side of the wheel arch and three on the back. To make access easier I jacked up the car and used a long 1/4" extension.

The front bumper is held in place with two 10mm hex bolts on each side.
    You should disconnect the fog lights and you may need to remove the top grill before undoing the three clips at the top of the bumper; just above the radiator in the picture.

The lights are held in with three Torx T35 bolts. They slot into the side of the wings and clip at the top which you may need to lift up before pulling out. Once loose disconnect the cable and put somewhere safe.

[​IMG]

I removed the fan too and compared it to the new part. It turns out my pre-facelift has two connectors and the facelift has a new, different connector for the fan. To remove the fan just disconnect the cables and find the top two mounting points. Unclip them and lift the fan up out of the mounts and then you can lower it to the ground and remove it out from under the car. My old fan housing was cracked in the crash but since I couldn't use the new one I used a hot glue gun instead to fix it.

[​IMG]

I had as much of the AC gas removed as I could in the morning but there was still something in the system. Whilst the car was still outside I released the pressure in the system and disconnected the two pipes to the AC radiator. I put a small tray to catch the bright green AC liquid under the car whilst I cleared some room.

I then drove the car through the garage and into the garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the car was now on the flat I disconnected the battery. The reason for this is that I'd removing the whole front and I suspect that this thingy is something to do with the airbags.

[​IMG]

You can see how close it came to being smashed as it's located just over 1cm away from where the slam panel got cracked. The big connector on the left is the fan power cable.

I drained the cooling system into a bucket by jacking the car up and removing the bottom radiator hose. When most has drained I disconnected the top one too since I was removing the radiator. After removing the bucket and lowering the car I put another little container under it as more came out.

The new parts came attached to a cross member but I didn't wanna change that as it's a key part of the car and I don't have torque settings for it. Before removing the slam panel I needed to disconnect the bonnet release and alarm cable and the two coolant reservoir hoses, one of which connects to the top of the radiator. I pulled the clips off that held all these in place and kept them away from the panel if I could.

The slam panel is held on with two 13mm bolts on each side at the top, underneath where the headlight clips would have gone, and two 8mm bolts on back on each side of the radiators connecting it to the cross member. With the bolts removed and everything disconnected I just lifted the slam panel with radiators up and out of the car.

[​IMG]

The old slam panel and radiators:
    [​IMG]

New ones:
    [​IMG]

I noticed that the new one has a crack in the corner of the slam panel and the AC rad is a little bent; like they've been dropped but it's in much better condition than the one I've just removed. Earlier I'd
    washed the radiator (cooling, not AC) out with the garden hose.

[​IMG]

I slotted the new slam panel and rads into place. I did the bolts that connect to the cross member first. I then did the top 13mm bolts up mostly and installed the headlights so I could move it about a bit and tighten it up with a spanner I felt it was in the right place. I took the headlights off again and tightened everything up properly and connected everything back up.

[​IMG]

The AC was a pain to get back on. I just got is on as far as I needed to get the nut on and do it up. When connected the top radiator hose I found it didn't reach. Worried, I checked the old radiator to see what the difference was and found that it had a extension on it. To remove it you just use a flat head screw driver and pull the clip out. I'd imagine it is easier to swap over when it's not installed on the car :eek:

[​IMG]

With everything connected up it began to rain so I pushed the car into the garage. I didn't want to leave the cooling system empty overnight so I filled it up the best I could.

[​IMG]

I cut a bottle in half and used it for measuring and as a funnel. It makes a good seal in the tank too so no spillage. What I should have done was fill the container up half with coolant and half with water before pouring it in instead of filling it all the way with one then all the way with the other. I bleed some of the system by just squeezing the radiator hoses.

With that I packed up my tools and called it a night. Whilst working outside in the dark I used bike stand to hold my new flood light and this worked pretty well.

[​IMG]

I hope you guys enjoy reading this. If you have any question or picture requests I'll try my best to answer them.

A couple of notes: I kept our cat inside whilst I was working on this as I didn't want her to breath in the AC gas which sinks low to the ground. Antifreeze is poisonous and should be disposed of safely; not left lying around where children and animals might drink it. Also take a note of your trip meter reading if it's important as disconnecting the battery will reset this and make sure you have your radio code.

16. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Sunday - Front Repair Continued

My old fan assembly was cracked and I got a new one as part of the package. As you saw in my previous post they connections where different so I'm using my one. I repaired the crack with a hot glue gun and installed it back on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once installed I reconnected the battery and let the car run for 15 minutes or so. This was to get it up to temperate to bleed the system and let the ECU sort itself out. I didn't see the fans come up but I was getting hot air in the cab. My air con doesn't work because it's empty so I couldn't turn that on to force the fans to run.

When I crashed the bumper mounts got pulled out of the wings and caused some damage. I used grips to bend the metal back into shape and make the mounting holes square again. I removed loose paint from
    around the holes, sanded them and then wiped clean.

[​IMG]

As it was cold I used a hot air gun to warm up the wings to make the paint stick easier. Using a tiny brush I ensured that all the bare metal was covered. I did spray a little on the inside of the wings instead of brushing. On the outside I used several thin layers to build up the paint but on the inside it was thick
    layers just for rush prevention.

[​IMG]

Whilst waiting for the paint to dry I installed my Mountune Cold Air Induction System (CAIS). I've been meaning to do a guide on this but I keep finding easier ways to fit it. You can see the cold are intake sticking out the bottom and the filter housing installed along with one headlight. It's easier to install the cold air pipe without the inner wheel liner and the K&N filter without the head light. I'd only do the latter if I already had the bumper and headlight removed though.

[​IMG]

After the other head light; installing the bumper is the reverse of removing it. It slots into the top of the slam panel on the three mounts and is connected with two 10mm bolts on either side inside the wings. The grills clips were bent but not broken so I was able to refit them and you can see the cold air pipe attached to the air damn at the bottom.

[​IMG]

The bumper requires further work to get the right hand fog light housing back into the right shape to take a fog light. I connect the left one and wrapped the connector for the right in duct tape and tucked it away. I used the hot glue gun and hot air gun on the bumper to get it back into better shape and reenforce the damaged mounting points at the bottom.

Here's the finished result minus the wheel linings which I installed after I rolled the car out of the garage. It looks like nothing ever happened....almost :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tools used:
    [​IMG]

Sockets: 7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 10mm & 13mm
    Spanners: 10mm & 13mm
    Torx: T25 & T35
    1/4" Ratchet and driver and 3/8" ratchet with lots of extensions
    Other: Grips, magnetic dish, bucket for coolant, oil catch for AC, hot air gun, hot glue gun and a jack.

I struggled to remove the hose clamps so I used the mole grips to get a hold it and then tighten it up so I could remove the clip.

17. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Supermarket Meet

I went down to a Fiesta Mk6 Owners Club little meet on Thursday. Was the first meet I've been too and really enjoyed meeting everyone and chatting about our cars.

[​IMG]
    Picture by Demi Fleuty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey all. Small update for you :)

My car only came with one key so I wanted a second just in case something happened to the first. Instead of a plain key or the standard remote fob I went for a flip key. It cost me £25 on eBay for the key and transponder. My car requires a 4D63 transponder which is what I ordered. When I got it cut and programmed I found out I'd be sent a 4D60 transponder so I had to pay an extra £5 for the correct one.

Since I only had one key I had to pay a local locksmith £65 (including new transponder) to cut and program it. Ford wanted £130 :eek: If I had two keys already programmed to the immobiliser I could add more myself and just pay for cutting. The remote takes a CR2032 battery and you can pair it to your car yourself if you have a remote that will start the engine.

[​IMG]

I'm pleased with my flip key even though I only intended to keep it as a spare. I've blurred out the key tips as locksmiths (like the one I went to) can read the key code off of it and cut a new one.

That evening I noticed my headlight was out so today (Saturday) I got a new bulb for my headlight and fog light and installed the headlight bulb later on. Unlike most people who seem to drive about with broken lights or sidelights and fogs on :confused:

19. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Would the process for a second key be much the same even if it's just a regular key (i.e. not a remote-y one)? My Fiesta only came with one key and it's a little irksome to have to hand over my keys every time my mum needs to borrow the car.

Argh! Isn't that the worst?! I hate it when someone has a headlight out and they turn their full beam on as if that makes up for it! (>_

20. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Yeah it is. The remote part was the only thing I could do myself since you only need on key that can turn the engine one to do this. For about a week the flip key wasn't able to work in the locks or start the car (even if it did fit in the lock) but was able to be used as a remote. I've seen non-remote keys cut to order for about £18 with transponder, but you'll still need a auto locksmith / ford unless you have two working keys already.

Looked in the handbook to change the bulb and it says to remove the front grill and headlight :confused: And when you do remove the grill you still need to get your tool behind the bumper >.< I still need to figure out how I'm gonna fix / bend the front bumper to get the foglight back in.