Cosmo's 2005 Ford Fiesta ST

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Cosmo_1847, Aug 18, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey All, as you may have read in my thread about car insurance, you'd of known I was getting this car.

I picked it up on Tuesday and have done about 100 miles in it so far and it's great. Still getting used to thing as it's almost 10 years newer and a lot faster than my old car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see about how many miles I'd driven from the dealership and how much petrol they gave me :rolleyes: The Nissan you can see is my other car. I think the car looks great even if it is filthy :D

2. latency

latency Existentialist

I do like the Focus and Fiesta ST...

I have a brief stint in an 05 Fiesta Zetec, and while it was completely gutless, the steering on it was fantastic, really fun to zip around town in.

3. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Do you wear a hoodie?

4. latency

latency Existentialist

Hot fords aren't always chavvy. My mate's got a Focus ST, and he isn't a hoodie.

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Cleaning the Car

When I got the car it hadn't been cleaned and the previous owner didn't seem to do much cleaning eariler. So I took out the seats and everything in the boot and set to work with the hoover and my god there was so much dog hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems the car has been on a farm or similar for a while, there was dog hair and straw in the boot and under the back seats. I've hooverd the inside about four times and the boot twice before I gave up on it. I also bought some spray on cleaner to give the inside a wipe over. Front seats are a Torx T50 and the rear seat bottom is T40. I think the rear seat backs are T50 and T55 which I don't have so I left them in. I did forget to disconnect the seatbelt cables before moving the driver's seat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the drivers seat, you can see the really dirty patches. I used some cleaner and a lot of rubbing on it and the spain is nearly all gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a right pain to get the passenger's seat out of the drivers side in the garage so when putting it back together I put in the driver's seat then turned the car around. You can see a big improvement but it's still dirty in my opinion but much much cleaner than it was. You can see the seatbelt cables in these pictures.

Really pleased with how the car has come out and taking the seats out makes it so much eaiser to work on :D On another note I've done a tank of petrol in just under two weeks :eek:

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Changing the Power Steering Fluid

I'm giving the car a full service myself. I get paid on Friday but it's bank holiday sale today so I got some bits today including power steering fluid.

To change it I disconnected the return pipe and put it into a bottle. I turned the steering wheel to full lock then topped up with fresh fluid and turned to the opposite, topping up after each turn. I repeated this until I'd used most of the bottle, then I reconnected the return line and topped up to the level. Remember to clean around the power steering cap and any spillage you have (which you will)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the power steering fluid from B&Q, it meets the requirements for my car. To make it easier you can jack up the car. The first time I jacked it up with the supplied jack it got the tyre off the ground before shooting out the side and dropping the car. Nobody was hurt but I think I'll wait until I get my trolly jack back before I jack it up again.

7. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I love the newer Fords. I've got a Focus at the moment and the handling is superb and coming from an ex-BMW owner who has also driven plenty of other cars like Lambos - it is proper fun! Reliability has been good for me - 6 years old now and not even an advisory on any MOTs (had one last week). My only gripe (on a petrol) is that the fuel economy is not exactly great - if you drive like a nun, you will get about 38 mpg and if you rag it constantly you get 28 mpg. The message that gives you is that you may as well just drive how the hell you like and enjoy it!

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Cleaning the throttle body

I decided to clean the throttle body as the car has done over 100,000 miles and was sometimes a little funny at idle, reving between 500 and 1200rpm. The car also holds the throttle for a half second after I take my foot off resulting in the engine reving when I change gear.

I've removed the hose pipe between the throttle body and airbox. To undo the clips just stick a screw driver or pillar needle between them and wiggle. I'm holding the throttle body open so you can see the inside of the butterfly valve. The engine is of course off.

[​IMG]

I got this carb cleaner for £4 at a local shop. I sprayed a load and left it to soak in before starting the engine and spraying some more. If you spray too much the engine will stall and maybe flood.
    [​IMG]

After stalling the engine I got a rag and cleaned around the butterfly value and the inside that I could reach. Here you can see the before and after. The top right is the output of the airbox and the duct tape in the bottle right is my ripped intake pipe to the airbox.
    [​IMG]

The clips can be a pain to get back together so here's how I do it:
    [​IMG]

After cleaning the throttle body I've noticed that the car revs to 2500rpm instead of 2000rpm on start and when driving for a little while it would idle at 2000rpm in traffic for a few seconds before coming down. It's gonna take a little while for the ECU to recalibrate its throttle position.

My car tax was due to run out yesterday and I was getting worked up because I hadn't had a road tax reminder or the V5C of the car. My cousin was telling me I didn't need them to do it but you need one of them. Seconds after I send a text asking if he can find out on Monday where the paper work is at my V5C arrives in the post. Car is now taxed for another year at £220, good thing I got paid Friday :rolleyes:

9. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Engine Oil Change

This weekend of Cosmo's car, I change the engine and gearbox oil whilst making a mess.

[​IMG]
    You'll need the correct engine oil and quality oil filter as well as a bucket. Left to right we have funnel, oil filter removal tool, 13mm spanner and socket and 1/2 ratchet.

[​IMG]
    Looking under the car from the front or driver's side you'll be able to see the sump, the bolt you want to remove is on the back of it. We struggled to get it off even after spraying penetrating fluid on it so we ended up putting a jack under the spanner and jacking that up to loosen the nut. Once loosened we used the ratchet before undoing it by hand and pulling it out.

As you can see the oil that came out was very dirty, it's done about 12,000 miles. Also try not do drop the filter into the bucket and splash oil like I did. To remove the filter we tightened the remover around the filter and then twisted it until it was loose enough to turn by hand. The problem I had was that my remover is a chain and this cut into the filter causing oil to leak out and make the filter slippery to hold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since my filter faces up I filled it with fresh oil and put some around the rubber seal before installing it on the car. It was tightened as much as I could with my hands.
    [​IMG]

Once installed I put oil into the engine, leaving it a while and checking the level before adding more because it's a lot easier to add oil than remove it if you overfill.
    [​IMG]

Engine oil and filter change for less than £40 and I got to hang out with my friend in the process. After driving the car and letting it settle I checked the level again. It's a little over what it should be but nothing like what It was before I drained it; we took out almost 5L of dirty oil.

Edit / Just Remembered:

I made a mess on the road so I recommended putting cardboard under your car and where you pour the oil from the bucket into a empty container. Always dispose of your waste oil responsibly and don't pour it down drains. We jacked up on side of the car a little to help us get to the sump plug. Also get yourselves down to Barnardo's and pick up a 'dog blanket' for 99p, we used one to lie on.

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Changing the Gearbox Oil

After dropping off my friend who helped with the engine oil change I set to work changing the gearbox oil in the garage. It's important to keep the car level so that you fill to the correct level the gearbox oil pours out of the fill hole when it full. I put cardboard under the car during and after the change to catch any drips.

Here are the tools I used. I use different tools for the same job, e.g. using a spanner to break the nut loose then a racket to undo it.
    [​IMG]
    We have: Garden hose, Scissor jack, 18 / 19mm spanner, 1/4" long extension, 8mm spanner, 8 / 9mm racket spanner, 1/4" thingy, 1/4" ratchet, 1/4" small extension, 8mm socket, 8mm allen key, 8mm hex bit, 19mm socket, 1/2" ratchet and 1/2" extension. You'll also need a funnel, gearbox oil and a container to catch the waste oil in.

You don't need any of the 8mm sockets / spanners if you're not removing the surround. I did move the surround so I didn't pour oil all over it but it was a lot more hassle than it was worth and got oil on it anyway.

It's important that the car is level when filling the gearbox oil; we parked my Nissan on the curb and jacked up the other side to give us room to work under it and keep it level. I was able to change the oil in my fiesta without jacking it up, just lying on my blanket.

Looking under the front to the right of the oil filter you'll see a black box; you'll need to remove this cover to get to the fill and drain holes. To remove the cover feel around the outside of it for the clips and undo them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second picture shows the fill and drain holes, a 8mm hex and 19mm socket is needed. You can also see the bolts you need to undo to remove / loosen the cover if you want to. The top one is a pain to undo as I couldn't get my ratchet or spanner onto it. If you do undo these bolts I recommend putting the car into 5th gear to move the linkage out of the way.

I loosened the fill hole by putting my 8mm allen key on it and then using my 1/2" extension bar for leverage. It sticks out between the bumper and wheel so I was able to go to the side of the car and pull it straight up. It's important to have your container under the gearbox as oil will come out of it when loose.

I wasn't able to to that with the drain bolt so I put my ratchet on it and jacked that up. This is what we did with my engine oil sump nut only with a trolly jack and spanner.

[​IMG]

With it broken loose I undid the bolt and dropped it into the old gearbox oil before doing the same for the fill plug. Once the oil had stopped coming out and cleaned the bolts and put the drain plug back in and directed my flexy funnel into the fill hole. It wasn't long enough so I had my funnel in the engine bay with some hose pipe on it leading down into the flexy.

You have to keep adding oil until it starts flowing out of the fill hole but a problem I had was that it didn't flow with the pipe in the way. So it wasn't until I removed the pipe that it flowed out of both the pipe and gearbox. Filling gearboxes is kind of wasteful as it comes out of the fill hole and goes all over the underside of the gearbox housing (I needed cardboard under the car for the next few days to catch it dripping off); the unused oil in the funnel also goes to waste as there was no way for my to stop is flowing and pour it back into the bottle.

I don't have any torque settings for my car so I just did the bolts up until I have happy they weren't going to come loose and leave me stranded at the side of the road somewhere. As with the engine oil, the stuff that came out was black and the stuff that went in was a nice gold.

I hope this information is useful / interesting to some folks and if you need more help check out this Eric The Car Guy video for a 2002 Ford Focus which the same kind of gearbox (or at least similar): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eoUL347ce0&feature=relmfu

11. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Great info there

12. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

Nice write up on changing the 'box oil. I hate doing that job almost as much as changing the fuel filter. :/

13. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

New look Wipers

I got a set of new wipers from Wipex on eBay for only £25. The set includes two new style wiper blades and a whole new smooth look wiper arm which I think is from the newer fords. The new wiper blades are a slightly different lengths to the OE ones which worried me but once installed on the car they work great.

To remove the rear wiper you'll need a 13mm spanner; lift up the cover and remove the nut then put some oil on it and then install the front wipers to let the oil soak in. After installing the front I needed to just wiggle and pull to get the wiper arm to come off.

Install the front is easy and there's instructions in the box which I found afterwards. Just remove your old wipers, open the cover up and install them and close the cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice cheap mod and makes the car looks nicer :) I plan to get mist type sprayers; my friend has them on his little pug 107 and they have great coverage. I also plan to get some DMB badges for the car as you can see in one of the pics that the badges are past their best.

14. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Cleaning the throttle body (again)

My car's revs are still high / uneven when the car is cold so I decided to take the throttle body off the car and to give it a better clean. I also cleaned just inside the intake manifold that I could get to.

The throttle body is held on with four 8mm bolts and one electrical connector that you can undo with your hands, just slide the red tab back and push the black connector down and pull it off. I removed the rubber gasket when cleaning it and put it back afterwards. I just sprayed the throttle body and cleaned it with shop towel then repeated until I was happy.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

When I put it back and started the engine it ran very rough and the dash was flashing "FAIL EAC", this was because I'd forgotten the electrical connector.

The car seems to be running alright but I think that I'll need to reset the ECU and change the air filter to get it to run properly when cold. The air filter is very dirty and I've not changed it yet as I don't want to spend £30 on a new filter if I'm then going to replace it with a cold air intake system. I got a quote from Aviva for the induction kit and it doesn't affect my premium :D

15. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

If it's running properly rough when cold it's unlikely it's a cacky filter or 'reset ECU' issue. I'm not savvy with the Duratec you're running but there's probably some sort of idle air bypass valve that would be my first suspect (blocked, sticky action?), or failing that just a dodgy sensor - but you'd suspect a fault code on the latter unless it was reading an inaccurate, but still valid, reason. Other option might be a lambda sensor if the ECU is trying to self-adjust the idle speed for emmissions.

To be honest, lots of possibilities, without knowing the engine :(

16. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

Doubt changing the air filter will do jack.

Check the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, if you have one. Do these engines have a MAP sensor, or do they work on a MAF meter?

17. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey all.

The filter needs changing anyway and the reason I've not done it yet is because I'm thinking of getting the mountune cold air induction system (C.A.I.S). I've been recommended a Ford speciallist to go to if I have any problems but they are pretty far away from me.

Latest / second mod I've done is to replace the washer jets with a mist style. I've not used them yet other than to test they were connected properly so I'll let you know what I think. They seem to spray towards the bottom of the windscreen whereas I was expecting them to cover it like my mate's pug 107's does.

I tried to get a pic of the mist and spray jets together but it's hard to take a pic and use the washers at the same time.

18. Capa

Capa Tamarian Orator

I did such a mod on an old car - ended up using Volvo washer jets which worked quite nicely. Good idea to combine then with aero wipers too.

Yeah, induction kit will make it sound pretty reasonable.

19. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I've had the week off so I'm done a little shopping. I hope to get these fitted on the next few days :)

[​IMG]

You'll find out what's in the box soon :p

(There is another tyre out of shot by the way)

20. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

The obvious internet troll statement, but "don't forget to tell your insurance won't you"....