Chromebook without a Google account

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cosmo_1847, Mar 16, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I don't have a Google account and I don't want one but I'm thinking of getting a Chromebook. Can I use a Chromebook without a Google account?

I've kinda noticed that all I do is browse the web, IRC and YouTube on my mac mini so I was thinking of getting a Chromebook as a little laptop I can use around the house and at work for this and taking notes.

Edit: I'm a web developer so it would be cool is I could run some software for making sites locally.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

it's a chromebook running google's OS and tied in to google's services.
    i have one (that i don't use) and i don't recall being able to get past the log in screen without some sort of google account.

basically if you don't want a google account then a chromebook is not for you.

edit - you can use the chromebook without a google account in guest mode. but it'll essentially lose all your settings every time your sessions ends.

3. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Do you have a YouTube account? That is a Google account - just a thought as if you actually have a Google account such as Youtube you may as well use it (if you want a Chromebook).

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

The only google account I have is my work one. I was just wondering if it could be used as a normal low power little laptop or if I could put linux on it. I do have a alright laptop atm but it's just bulky.

5. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

it can be used a low power laptop using the Chrome OS that is pre-installed, but you need a google account to be able to use it properly.
    it has a guest mode, but it doesn't save any profile settings, and you'll need a google account to be able to install any extensions or apps.

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

at those prices i suspect they will be of very poor quality, especially the screen.
    the screen on the hp chromebook 14 is atrocious (just like every other chromebook apart from the pixel)

the HP steam 13 look almost identical to the hp chromebook 14.

8. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I always find that with any kind of laptop, tablet or phone - you have to try to look at one before deciding how the screen is for you.