cheap pickup

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by gamerdude1989, Feb 20, 2013.

Share This Page

1. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

Hey guys

Look at what i bought today.
    nothing special, but only cost me £200.. including V5 documents..
    Done 2k miles from new, 59 plate.. 125cc but owner says he has had it to 103mph. :D

Bit of a state, as you can see, but since they sell brand new for around £1000, i cant complain, so for £200, that saves me £800, and it wont even cost £800 to repair..
    Its a Cat C write off, But is allowed to be repaired and put back on the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picking her up Friday morning :D
    Intentions:
    *Strip it down to bare frame, clean it up, respray frame Orange.
    *Strip engine down, clean it up, replace seals, gaskets etc, and oil change
    * Buy a fairing for the N/S, repair cracked fairings all round
    * A nice respray, still satin black
    * Clean up and re-polish exhaust pipe, get it back to chrome.
    * Spray wheels Orange
    * Buy scorpion race can. (seen them sounding pretty nice with one)
    get her back on the road, and use it. since money isnt the best right now, and had to sell my previous car, so this could be a cheaper option for me right now :D
    For £200, cant complain, got 9 months tax and 3 months MOT..
    Owner hadf it from new, but recently involved on a head-on crash with a car, so selling it cheap, and too affraid to ride another motorbike..

2. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

nice that will look good when all fixed up

3. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

Yeah man :D
    No rush to get it on the road, Since im now living back with parents for a while, I am currently using my mothers car to get around.. The insurance on my mothers car, under her name, is actually alot cheaper than it was for me to insure my own car.
    My initial price of insurance on my old Vauxhall Astra (with a 2litre C20 LET redtop), was £1950 a year.. But being insured on my mothers insurance, on her 3.5litre bmw 353d is only £755 a year..

So this cost mainly, will make me better off being with this 125cc bike.. Being quoted at only £185 a year, will save me a bucket load, So more can go towards my new pc build :D
    Its plenty fast enough as im not intending to be breaking speed limits, and since i have a full bike licence too, will be no CBT for only 2 years.. so will work out fantastic

4. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

bargain for that assuming its not too bad, dont expect anywhere near the speed he claims though as its a 11kw fourstroke. ideal for a tight budget though!!.... if it was me i would give it a cheap tidyup and run it more or less the way it is!!

:D

5. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

Yeah im not going to be spending alot on it really. just repair and respray the damaged bits really.
    One of my mates used to have the exact same bike but in white, and he had 96mph out of it, completely stock. It was quick too. i used to ride it a fair bit.. that was one reason why i had to buy this.. nice ride..

6. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

you need that gaming pc so i can run you off the road like i do to everyone else in dirt 3

7. Ninjagordy

-_-

8. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

:) you should go on steam and play a few races. i miss playing dirt3 with you guys

9. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

When you said pickup i thought you meant pickup truck >.

10. Ninjagordy

maybe soon buddie! :)

11. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

12. Ninjagordy

aparently there is some cheap upgrades for that bike too. a sport exhaust, k&n and full power cdi, upjetting and valve adjustment are an option as well... not too expensive for all that by the look!:D

13. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

Yeah ive been looking at things like that too.
    I was thinking about getting a de-restricted CDI box to start with, since its basically built around the Honda CBR125r. i can get bits for that. :D
    Not going to muck around with the carb too much, If anything, i would stick a bigger carb on, something with a bigger venturi..
    And exhaust, i am looking at either getting a scorpion or an Arrow Stubby Race Can..

I am going to be leaving to the pick the bike up within the next hour or so :D

14. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

Well, went to pick it up..
    There are a few problems with it that werent said in the advertisement, But easy fix, well a couple of them are..
    Firstly id say the bike isnt in all that bad condition, its mainly paint job damage, which makes it look worse than it all is..
    But the few problems that werent told to me:

* No indicators, well i say none, the side that still has the fairing, has one, but missing the other side front one aswell as both rears, and the owner cut the wiring off, So that means i have to add wires to the loom.. (easy enough fix)

* Blowning Exhaust, No biggie, as im a welder, but a bit annoyed none of these were told to me.. (simple enough fix)

* Wiring loom had not only been cut off for the indicators, it has also been hacked at, chopped off and rewired with the old fassioned, strip and twist.. And bare wires sitting out everywhere (Relatively easy fix)

* Big problem..... I started her up when i got home, wanted to test ride her.. Started beautifully, runs nice, sounds loud from the blowing, BUT.... gearbox is fecked..
    1st gear and neautral only....
    I pulled away, got her upto good revs, went to change to second gear, when i released the clutch, i felt a grinding noise through my foot, and it jumped straight back into second, causing me to judder harshly forwards.... Thinking that i hadnt put it in gear properly, tried again.. Same thing... It will not stay in 2nd gear

But all in all.. Not a bad bike, for the price

15. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

16. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

we need pics

17. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

OK, after a few minor set backs. Huh Hum, all 4 engine mounts Snapped... The engine is not physically bolted in, its just resting on the frame, (and ive been riding this up and down my road) *eek*
    Got some new engine mounts and under sump engine clamp bolts.. They should be here in a couple of days..
    Also had a few wiring problems, previous owner had cut headlight wires, to install NEONS running off its 12v feed.. (idiot), and a minor incident where i found a stripped bare live wire directly below the petrol tank, literally like an inch away, was not happy to see that..
    But all fresh wiring has been soldered in its place and heatshrinked, ready for my new Carbon fibre looking LED indicators to turn up and be installed..
    But in the mean time, back on to the work.. Removed the fairings (the ones it has left), Give them a nice sanding down.. Some had to be sanded harder than others, simply to the deep scores out.. Got them sanded to perfection now..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All ready for Primer coats.. Which will be done in the next couple of days.. The below 0 weathers have been a put off..

More to come...

18. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

PS: here is a small glimps of what i mean by engine mounts snapped.. Clean off.. And this is just one of them... All the other 3 are just the same..
    [​IMG]

19. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Like to see if you get this done within budget :D !

20. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

Yeah man. Its not working out to be too bad..
    Ordered a new set of engine mounts, £11 on ebay..
    Ordered the correct gear lever too, because with the one thats on it, its wrong and makes gear selection to 1up and 4 down haha.. Picked the correct one up pretty cheap too..
    Its getting there.