Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Cosmo_1847, Jul 25, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hey Guys. I've got some quotes for a car but I'm not sure which is best to go for.

I'm with Aviva and to add this car takes my premium from £55 a month to £105 a month and this ends in late November. So in my mind it works out at about £200 to insure it for four months.

Quote Me Happy have given me two prices. In installments it's £83 first then 10 payments of £44 to bring the total to £526. To buy it in one payment it's £452.02.

What do you guys think is best. I've been with Aviva two years and they've been the cheapest until now. Should I phone them up and try to get them cheaper or go with Quote Me Happy?

Have any of you guys been with Quote Me happy and what do you think of them? Also if I pay in full and get rid of the car part way I'm assuming I can get most of my money back from the unused time?

Edit: Hmm, it seems Quote Me Happy won't quote me at all if the car is modified. Hmm...

Edit 2: Just got another quote from Aviva with an induction kit on the car, increased my premium by less than £2 :)

2. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

You may want to shop around a lot more - it doesn't pay to stay with the same insurer - I was charged double with 7 years no claims because I wanted to have a 1 month break in my insurance while I was abroad. Other insurers were happy to give me the full no claims discount.

As an aside, Quote Me Happy is Aviva, so you may want to look a bit further afield!

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Oh I didn't know that. I'll have a look at Adrian Flux and if they can't sort me they'll pass me around until I do get sorted :)

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

what car is it ?
    i'm assuming it's a boyracer type idiot car (as you mentioned induction kit).

ps. i pay £200 for the whole year :D

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

2005 Ford Fiesta ST. I've just bought it and it needs a new spring so I was thinking of getting lowering springs which is a mod.

6. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

why would you want to lower it?
    ford spent a lot of money in R&D and concluded that it is currently at the optimum height for general use.

7. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

At the time I was told it was £100 to £200 to replace the spring when I could get a set of lowering springs for less than £170. Anyway, insurance first, mods second.

8. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Insurance companies are only good or bad when you come to make a claim, of course we all shop about on cost.

I'm a little more wary, I went with the cheapest option when I just started driving, and the company went out of business. I'd paid the premium in full, and did get some compensation from the central insurance pool, but I still lost out a couple of hundred pounds. Was the last thing I needed when I'd only just got on the road after the cost of a car, lessons, tests, insurance...

I'd been with Admiral for a few years there, can't say I 'used' them as such as thankfully I've never needed to claim, but what I don't like is that every year their renewal would be higher, so if you got a quote elsewhere and called them up with it, they would then match it, but it started to feel like they were just trying to chance charging more and hope you wouldn't notice.

I switched to Direct Line this year - as they say, they don't show up in the comparison sites - but they had a better deal than anywhere, and at least are fairly well established.

On the one hand I was pleased to finally get under the £200 mark on a group 19 car, but then then I also realised it's a sign I'm getting old.

Oh, and a word on comparison sites - don't put your real email or phone in there when you're just checking out costs, because they sure do like to pass that info on. You'll get cold called relentlessly for all the following years by a selection of insurers, so best to only stick the proper info in on the actual insurer you choose to go with, on their own site, if you want a quiet life.

Laughed at that.

If he doesn't consider his use 'general' then that's a good reason to lower it. You know, if it's more important to go on racetracks, or just pose around the streets.

---

I've had a lowered car before though, and two points.

1. Don't ever just get springs. If you're doing it, get a set of recommended shocks to match, a car that's just lowered without having suitably designed shock absorbers will not handle at all well. Find the Top Gear episode where they all bought 'identical' BMW M3s, and see Hammond's car. Perfect example of how awkward or even dangerous poorly configured suspension can be.

2. Really, be prepared to sacrifice a lot of comfort. Not sure what roads are like your way, but even in my current car which has a 10mm drop (manufacturer option) - gosh, do you feel all those cracks in the road. In a way, glad I'm in walking distance from work rather than having to navigate around all these awful roads every day.

9. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Quote me Happy seem fine. I'm on my second year with them. It's all web based though the only phone number is for reporting accidents. Two points though, firstly Samsonite is right and it is just a part of Aviva - which may be a good thing, as it means they're part of a 'reputable' company? Secondly, Graeme is right that you don't know how good they are until you claim - and I haven't.

Unless I'm wrong, if you cancel your current Aviva policy and start a new policy you won't get the current years no claims bonus, so either way I'd want to stump up the extra £200 over the next 4 months just for that. If you didn't take that into account when you got quotes then you might find that drops next years insurance; probably by closer to 20p than £200, but it might drop it a little and give you a further leg up for subsequent years.

I may be wrong but I don't see why an insurance company would give an extra year of no claims for 8 months of insurance so just bear it in mind.

The other answer is don't be a young male with a bloody hot hatch and hope to get cheap insurance. Although actually I wouldn't mind £450 yearly for insurance... :)

With regards to the suspension you might want to take labour into account though as it'll cost more to change 4 springs than 1 (4x the labour give or take, I would assume), and as G said you'll need appropriate shocks as well as the springs - or a complete suspension kit. I completely understand why you'd want to do it; were my car to crack a spring or two I'd certainly investigate it and weigh the costs up.

My car has EBC front discs and pads for the same reason. Renault brakes were £275, and in the next town so I'd likely have to take half a days holiday. EBC brakes ~£120 for the parts and £90 fitted (including fluid change) by a trustworthy local garage that will pick up the car from work in the morning and return it in the afternoon once the work is done.

Noticeably better brakes for 2/3rds the cost, can't really complain. Whether they last as long remains to be seen but if they last for 2/3rds the time that the standard ones would then I've not really lost out.

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Hi guys, thanks for the info.

Just to clear a few things up.

I'd be doing any labour to the car with my cousin who is a mechanic so I only have to pay for parts. I can also get discounts on aftermarket parts through work.

Seems I forgot to meantion that with Aviva it would be Multicar. So it's £200 to until the end of November (four months away) to add the Fiesta as a second car with my dad as a named driver. My brother is a learner on the Nissan. I also wouldn't cancel my policy as I'd want the years NCB.

I've been with Admiral before for 22 months. 10 Months boost thingy that gives you 1 year NCB and one regular year. My dad canceled the policy but because he's a named driver they didn't cancel it but also didn't tell him that otherwise he'd of just got me to speak to them. So they threated us with balelifts until this was explained to them and they saw we took out insurance with someone else on the date of renewal.

I think what I'll do is get the spring replaced with a OEM one as I liked how the car handled on the test drive.

I also have EBC discs and pads on the front of my nissan and they are great.

I use Compare the Market, They don't ask you for your telephone. They used to email you each set of quotes you got but now they don't and you just log in to view your quotes. I got a quote from the AA one time and they kept sending me letters afterwards until I phoned them up and told them to stop.

Hope to get the car in a week or so :D The first car I've bought too :D

11. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

When it comes to comparison sites: use them all! It may be a little time consuming but the same insurer may offer a slightly cheaper quote elsewhere.

I'm with Diamond (aye, 'car insurance for women' - it's my hair) and the quote I got for them was £200 more on GoCompare and Compare the Market than it was on Money Supermarket. If you're looking for the cheapest possible, dedicate a few hours to checking ALL of the comparison sites.

Can't say I've had an increase in unsolicited calls as you might expect but I did get plenty of irritating emails. Those, however, were easy to opt out of. : )

On a side note, Diamond are amazing to deal with. When I ... parted with my beloved red Fiesta and her cute white stripes and white alloys, they had my claim to me within days and were just so helpful.

12. Archaon

gocompare has an opt out box on the last page of doing a quote, if you tick it you won't hear a peep except a couple of emails with the lowest quotes etc. If you don't I believe the top 3 cheapest insurers are able to call you if they wish.

13. Osiris

Osiris Gentleman and Scholar

A note on the modding side of things. A mate of mine had an Audi S4 that he lowered and he claims it was the worst thing he ever did as it totally knackered the feel and handling. The comment about the manufacturer's R&D is valid for most performance cars.

In some cases it can be a good thing though. A replacement exhaust on my Accord S from Honda would be £800. I can literally go next door from the dealer and spend £400 on a custom stainless Powerflow exhaust tuned to my preferred noise level and tone and with a lifetime warranty.

On insurance, it absolutely pays to shop around. I have never spent more than a year with the same inaurer. Best company, in terms of setup and managing your account is Swiftcover. Can't comment on the claims process though.

14. Graeme*Kustom*

I'd love to hear anyone who is using that thing Aviva are advertising, phone app that monitors your driving (assuming it's checking speed and how aggressively you accelerate and brake) and gives you a score on each journey, aiming to reward better drivers with lower insurance premiums.

Seems a much fairer way than the statistics used just now (for instance, your job type influences your insurance policy, let alone age).

Could be one to check out next time though.

I wonder if you can make it think you're a careful driver if you switch the app on when you go for a walk... :)

15. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i would doubt the accuracy of any such data though.
    even when out cycling you often get crazy spikes in GPS data.

my nexus 4 has all the location data logged (viewable at maps.google.com/locationhistory) and i take a look at it every day and i often have spikes all over the place where it picks up a cell tower and assumes you are there (the pitfalls of assisted GPS).

16. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

"It looks like he drove at 3mph and then took a left onto the perdestian only high street before driving into Boots..."

Driving to and from work I don't speed or drive agressively apart from putting right onto a 60mph on the way home from work. I won't use the app however as I refuse to get a google account to download free apps on my andriod phone.

17. Archaon

There's also the potential that - as it's only a phone app and not connected to the car - that it could be misleading.

Using me as an example if I were to rag the living s**** out of my Clio and yet still accelerate slower than something like a Passat/Mondeo/Insignia etc, does that make me a safer driver than the Passat (etc) driver that's not really giving their car the 'full beans'? Even if I'm redlining the thing through the gears I could still be accelerating slower?

I would argue that all other things being equal I would be worse since a) it suggests I'd go faster if I could, whereas Mr Passat is making the choice not to and b) if I'm pushing the car harder it's more likely that it will lose grip, spin it's wheels etc.

Also does it measure lateral G's or not? Because if not it could discourage braking in some people - why brake harshly and increase your insurance when you can just go around the corner faster (assuming you make it!)?

18. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

What happens if you drive round your mates and jump in his car and he drives like a nutter and you've forgotten to turn off the app.

19. Archaon

Or if you go on a high speed train do they raise your insurance for speeding? I would hope that the GPS functionality is smart enough to work out that you're not on a road, but what if it isn't?

20. Graeme*Kustom*

The app is free to anyone to try, I'll give it a shot on the way home tonight.

The blurb in the play store says that drivers who get a good score can qualify for up to 20% discount on their premium.

So perhaps it's more of something that you set up before taking out the insurance, but it doesn't per se monitor you all year like the black box things that have been offered to some new drivers as a means of bringing down their premium.

I'm still guessing a lot here as much as I know was I saw an advert on TV and thought it was an interesting concept. Anyway, we'll see how safe I am later. :)

Regarding that, I saw from the TV advert there was a big start / stop button. So really you would only use it when you're on a car journey.

Also, on the Play Store description it says that no-one has their premium raised by the application, rather, that it everyone can get the default price, but 'better' drivers qualify for a 10% or 20% discount.

Still to look and see if they're within 20% of my current premium, but it's paid for until next year anyway so not a huge concern at the moment anyway.