Build log: Titus/Andronicus

Discussion in 'Cases / Modding Discussion' started by stdPichu, Jul 19, 2013.

Share This Page

1. MikeBuzz

MikeBuzz New Member

Hi, re the E3C226, do you have an issue where the BMC webgui stops working and only a full power off brings it back to life?

2. stdPichu

stdPichu Kustomer

Not had that issue myself (TBH don't think I've needed to do anything in that regard in the last 6 months and I'm still running 1.80), but I do recall reading about someone with a similar problem on the STH forums; I think the java process hadn't exited cleanly on their client (i.e. needed to kill java/jviewer processes first) but if you can't even get the web page to load that's probably a wholly different issue.

Any error messages? Is the interface pingable and/or port-scannable? If your OS is still working properly you might want to see if you can get any info out of IPMI, or indeed at least see if you can issue a BMC reset command? IIRC I can do this via ipmitool mc reset but I'll check on it when I get home.

3. MikeBuzz

MikeBuzz New Member

No error messages, its pingable but does not show any ports open when scanning, at the moment i am using 00.16 version on the BMC to see if that fixes the issue but at the moment it does not seem to have worked, ASRock have also sent me a new eeprom for the BMC, will test this when i get the chance

4. stdPichu

stdPichu Kustomer

Did you have any joy trying with ipmitool? Not sure if you're using linux or not (IIRC it's just aptitude install ipmitool in debian) but it should be available for windows as well: http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net/FILES/ipmiutil-2.9.5-win64.zip

Likewise, dunno if asrock provide a similar util on the windows side of things but trying out ipmitool might be worth trying to see if a soft reset fixes it, better than a power cycle at any rate...

5. MikeBuzz

MikeBuzz New Member

Will have to try that the next time it happens, so far i have not had the issue for at least 3days :)

Have just been spending the last day getting couchpotato working correctly:cool:

6. stdPichu

stdPichu Kustomer

'ello again folks - minor update time as Titus and Andronicus have now been happily running for yonks but I've just done a little bit of upgrade work.

Andronicus, my backup server, was built with the FSP 300W 1U power supply; this was sub-optimal for two reasons - 1) the seasonic FlexATX PSUs are more efficient and much quieter and b) the FSP, like other 1U units, is wide enough that you can't stack the two SSD plates on top of one another like I did on my Titus build, so I've bought another of the Seasonics (the 300W this time), put that in Titus and then put the 350W into Andronicus. Now Andronicus can have its two RAID1 SSDs just like Titus does.

Following on from that, I also decided to get some proper power readings for the devices I've built in this thread; since Titus is going to be running 24/7 I've done a little bit of work to limit its power usage whilst still retaining reliability; this is essentially just a udev rule enabling automatic power saving in linux for USB and PCI devices:

Code:
    root@titus:~# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/80-power-saving.rules
    # turning on all available powersave tunables
    # pci / pcie
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{power/control}="auto"

# usb suspend
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"

# sata ALPM
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_host", KERNEL=="host*", ATTR{link_power_management_policy}="min_power"
    I added this to all of the machines and did extensive testing; long and the short of it is it makes a sizeable difference to idle power usage and hasn't produced any stability or performance problems. YMMV of course!

You can confirm with Intel's powertop utility if there are any other settings you can tweak. Honestly I was expecting an uphill struggle with enabling power saving but it was literally just turn it on and it works; no perceivable loss in performance, no inexplicable crashing. One thing I haven't done is turn on HDD spin-down on my NAS boxes (and as discussed previously any hard drives that do head-parking have had it turned off in the firmware with wdidle3 / idle3ctl) since in my experience that's been the number one cause for premature hard drive death. For those of you willing to try it however, you'd probably chop these numbers in half.

Power readings were either averaged over a five minute period, or a peak value was taken for time-limited events such as booting.

First the figures for Titus; ASRock E3C226D2I, Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB Crucial ECC @ 1.35V, LSI 9211-8i, Seasonic 300W, 6x3TB hard drives in RAID10:
    Off: 4.2W
    Cold Boot (peak): 95.3W
    Idling: 71.9W / 65.4W with power saving
    RAID sync: 92W

And now for Andronicus; Intel S1200KPR, Xeon E3-1265L-v2, 8GB Crucial ECC @ 1.5V, LSI 9211-8i, Seasonic 350W, 8x2TB hard drives in RAID6:
    Off: 2W
    Cold Boot (peak): 113W
    Idling: 77.4W / 68.8W with power saving
    RAID sync: 98.7W

...and of course Zoidberg which'll be assuming duty as my main HTPC shortly; i5-3470T, 4GB Corsair 1.5V, Crucial M550 128GB mSATA, 90W PicoPSU bundle:
    Off: 3W
    Cold Boot (peak): 31W
    Idling: 17.1W / 13.3W with power saving
    1080P H264 playback (software): 23.7W
    1080P H264 playback (hardware): 26.4W
    Gaming: 38W

I was very surprised that consumption on Zoidberg was so low, even when maxing out the CPU and GPU components, and even more surprised when I saw that software decode actually used less power than hardware decode. C'est la vie...

The high power usage when the systems are off are solely due to the NICs having wake-on-LAN enabled; when that'd disabled power usage on everything but the ASRock motherboard drops to 0.5W or thereabouts. The E3C226D2I obviously uses more power since it has to keep the BMC on all the time.