BT infinity== nonsense

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by peter, Dec 14, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Thanks for the link :)

If I were to get the TP-Link TD-W8961ND router for my ADSL2+ connection. Would I be able to use it if we later moved to BT Infinity?

2. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Fairly sure it needs to be a Fibre / VDSL router rather than ADSL.

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

4. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

There is a lot of luck involved - I think 95% of people I know have decent broadband, but of course that probably only agitates those who don't!

I've not had fiber in the past 10 years and started with a rural 1Mb connection which I found a bit limiting but 10 years ago that wasn't so terrible.

5 years ago, I moved to an even more rural place about 200 miles away and got 8Mb which was a pleasant surprise and I was completely happy with that to be honest.

Moved again to a bigger town and got 12Mb, this year moved to another big town and I get 16Mb - so it tells me that quite a lot of places are doing well for broadband (on BT infrastructure) these days!

I was almost convinced to move to a fiber area (I never seem to when I move though), however with my recent experience (last 5 years), I am happy with what is on offer. BT are trying to sell me Infinity as they have installed FTTC and did a line test offering 38.5Mb/9.1Mb but to be honest, I don't want "speed greed" because if I moved house in the future and got less than 38.5 I would have a downer, even if it was 20Mb!

On the other hand, my parents live on a street that is all fiber... apart from their house which is set back 100 yards from the road. Virgin won't lay a cable (so to speak). They have a terrible phone line and get fairly poor internet and always have (they are far from the exchange too). Now that is bad luck (their next door neighbours get 50Mb)... although mobile reception is good and you can get a 7Mb connection there - they would probably be better off just doing that!

5. Jamestk

Jamestk Tech Support

Cosmo if you get the Draytek vigor2820n (which I have) you can use the ADSL/ADSL2+ for standard ADSL then when you change over to BT infinity connect the BT White infinity modem then connect that to the WAN2 input rather than using the BT homehub (which is a little twitchy and has less features), this is what I am planning on doing when I get BT infinity in March.

By default this is the kit you get from BT

[​IMG]

6. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

for folks with slow adsl , get a broadcom based adsl modem and check for kustom firmware which allows for SNR adjustment. i have personally gained over 300 kb/s by doing this.

seceret is take it as low as you can then slowly bring it back till you stop getting disconnections or major packet loss. (Netgear DG834GT is a prime example which can be had on ebay for £10)

7. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

It depends on the hardware at the Exchange end...
    You need a ADSL modem with the same chipset as the exchange. That will give you the best performance and stability...

Contact the Technical support (2nd line if possible!) and find out what hardware they use in your exchange then google it and find what ADSL modem uses the same chipset...

eg.. with my old ISP UK-Online (now part of SKY) the best router was a Billion 7800N router as it had the exact same chipset as the ADSL equipment at UK-Online used in their LLU exchanges