BT infinity== nonsense

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by peter, Dec 14, 2010.

Share This Page

1. peter

peter Question asker

Everytime i see the add for their faster fibre optic Bband i feel ****ed off .....Push for faster Bband .why ??
    They cant even fix existing problems with pushing for faster speeds ...
    My exchange gets upgraded to adsl2+ in march BIG wow ( yawn)
    only improvemnet i might see is getting my speed backj upto 1-1.5mb ..the speed i had 2 years ago ....

My phoneline went the end of dec 2009 just 1week after renewing contract (18months ) with bt yet this year if ive had Bband hassle free for only 2 months this year .......im still fighting ....
    my speed has dropped from 1mb DOWN to 0.25-0.3mb cos they say thats all my line can take now ...
    Must be a record that ive had 25+ bt engineer appointments made & 20 engineers visit house some get 1mb back for few days --few weeks b4 its back to sqaure 1 ......went to download nero10 trial version ..BUT stopped , was going to take 4hrs+ to download

Whats point of 20-40mb+ if only a select few are going to get it and possibly at a cheaper price that what the slow speeders are paying ....
    http://top10.com/company/press/britain_s_worst_broadband_blackspot_is_farningham_kent/

shows that stevenston is 8th slowest are in uk

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Um... hat to contradict you, but BT Infinity is the solution to all the problems with the BT infrastructure- FTTC will replace all of the knackered copper lines that give the crappy speed you're complaining about.

Sure it'll take a while to roll it out to everyone, but they're actually fixing the problem, not just bodging patches on an outdated network.

You won't be calling it nonsense when BT or Virgin get a fibre line to your area.

3. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Pete.
    Move next door to Saltcoats :p lol
    1.3mb here LLU!
    Are you on a LLU or normal provider?

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

20mb LLU here :D

5. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Not strictly speaking true. Because of my proximity to the exchange, my phone is connected directly to the exchange and not to a kerbside cabinet. However, the connection is sufficiently long that my broadband is 4Mbps out of a possible 20. So unless BT do FTTH for me, I ain't going to get any better than I do now.

6. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Can I just say...Virgin ftw. While obviously I don't get the maximum I'm paying for, it must be said I get a lot more than many ADSL/2/2+ users. And honestly, if BT is using the same or similar technology to replace and/or supplement ADSL lines then it's a blessing not a curse.

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

but with Virgin's FUP and traffic shaping (ie throttling) i bet you never get the benefit of those faster speeds (except for the small window when the FUP doesn't apply).

8. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

I've actually watched my speed (not connection sync) slow since having broadband.

I'm more likely to fly to the moon than get an LLU where I live so everything I have relies on BT infrastructure. I live in a very large village which could really do with an upgrade to the exchange as I'd say my exchange or those on the route to my ISP is where most of my speed issues stem.

BT haven't spent the money to allow the bandwidth to get from A-B at it's maximum capacity and only spend enough to get by with. Just look what's classed as an 8meg speed according to the BT download checker tool.

We haven't even got a date for adsl 2 anymore (we used to have one), and have "BT Infinity is not currently due to be rolled out in your area" for infiinity. Other local places have adsl2 and are getting infinity within the next year, we pay the same as them and I'm always seeing a BT van up the road at the junction box so it would just be nice to be upgraded or hell even have a date. It's not like they don't have the staff to cover more than one location!

It's great how we get to see all these Virgin cable adverts here where I live, the nearest location which can use it is about an hours drive away....

I also find it annoying that it's usually a case of LLU, inifinity, ADSL2 all end up at the exact same places, yes I know there's economies of scale etc but BT will ALWAYS be more expensive than LLU and it's likely anyone in the know will go with an LLU.

9. Osiris

Osiris Gentleman and Scholar

Virgin Wins. I get full 20mbps of love here.
    I also can sympathise with people who get slow speeds. My parents gaff is 20 feet to far away from the exchange to get ADSL so when I visit I have to put up with painfully slow Satellite internet......

10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Yes virgin is the fastest im on 50mb, although soon will be going down to 20mb as i dont need its speed. BT are just that, Bloody Terrible

11. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

I'm in exactly the same state as LSG... ruralish setting, but very close to the exchange (less than a mile). But the physical kit in the exchange is eons old (source: BT engineer himself who was investigating speed issues on my line), and I'm lucky I'm getting around 3.5Mb out of my >8Mb service. I dream of 20Mb, let alone anything faster - christ, I'd be happy with something approaching the 8Mb it's suggested I could get!

Like you say, it's got steadily slower and slower over the years as investiment in inner-cities puts further load on the infrastructure, and so over-arching fair use policies are put in place for ALL the users, and the likes of us in no-investment areas can just take a running jump as far as BT are concerned... after all, with so few target users (prob ~500 homes?) why invest in kit in the exchange? Not even LLU so I can take my business elsewhere.

Arsebiscuits, that's all I can say :)

12. Fat Jez

That's called contention. Most ISP's do 1:50 for consumer customers and 1:20 for corporates. It's always been like this, right back to the days of dial-up.

13. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

This is why I'm a fan out radio broadband in rural settings. We have a BT line at work and struggle to get 2-3mb... the local radio tower can see us and have an up to 20mb each way connection. OK it costs more but it's the only real alternative in the countryside.

six

14. Archaon

Questions to those ranting about BT in rural areas...

Yes, we all know that the BT infrastructure is c*** in many places, particularly rural ones. But pray tell what would be the point in upgrading your exchanges and phone lines, and then ripping them out 5 years later to be replaced with fibre optic?

While I have no doubt that BT could spend more on infrastructure if they wanted to, is it not common for us as a community to give similar advice to people wanting to upgrade their PC? i.e. we would never recommend that someone try and upgrade a Pentium III system to run modern games - we'd tell them to save up, build a new one and bin the old one (or relegate it to other duties).

Wouldn't you agree that the same concept applies here?

15. Fat Jez

It would, but as Darkentity will testify, even on new build estates BT are still sticking down copper only, when they could easily put down fibre instead, or at the same time.

16. Archaon

Aye well that's just daft...but for areas that already exist and have copper infrastructure is there any point upgrading just to rip it out later?

17. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

It's not the copper infrastructure; it's kit that has to go into the exchange. According to SamKnows our exchange serves just under 600 residential properties, with ADSL and ADSL Max but that's it; no LLU, 21CN and certainly no fibre in the pipeline!

So we're constrained to BT infrastructure, so no other vendors can come in there and undercut BT or offer a faster service (and I'm assuming they wanted to , which granted, they probably don't for 600 homes). However, it works the other way - since BT know that all the broadband in the area is constrained by their kit, they've effectively scuppered all their competitors who can't offer any better a service either - so BT are hardly likely to go investing in kit that allows customers to go elsewhere, are they?

I'm not particularly fussed about any speeds greater than 8Mb to be honest; if I got near the 8Mb then I'd be happy, at least I could stream video and so forth at a decent rate, but at the moment 600 houeholds all contending for the same pitiful bandwidth drops the service into barely-usable territory at times. The pipe into the exchange needs sorting out, along with some better kit in the exchange, but we're not talking re-laying fibre to all the houses here - I used to get 6Mb so clearly it CAN be done on the current wire infrastructure in place - it's just that the customer base and demands have increased and BT have not invested in scaling the exchange to cope. What do I pay my money for?!

18. Fat Jez

If we assume that all 600 homes have broadband and the contention is 1:50, then that means that the bandwidth into the exchange should be (600/50)x8Mbps, or 96Mbps. For the sake of argument, lets round that to 100Mbps. It only takes a few of those users (around 12 or so) to max out their connection with bit torrent or similar to wipe out that bandwidth, especially as it seems that BT will be cheap and won't supply 100Mbps into the exchange as not all customers will get the max speed.

19. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

I might be guilty of the odd torrent :eek:. I think there may be this silly perception that since we're out in the sticks a bit we're all driving tractors or shooting pheasants when we're not sitting around our argas in our flat caps talking about the weather - which is of course, nonsense. We're a small village just outside of the midlands, but as the metropolis expands we're not that far away from suburbia in reality - and so there are lots of technology-minded, internet-savvy people in the village; I know many of them. Teleworkers, gamers, etc. not to mind plenty of kids who have now plugged their Playboxii into their broadband, and BT customers who are no doubt streaming films across their BT Wonderbox half the day.

Vendors punt out these services and hardware but BT are not necessarily imposed to scale up their hardware/infrastructure to meet it. That's the **** about it. Like I said, I once enjoyed 6Mb real bandwidth, I'm now down to about 3.5... when every one of those 600 houses has several pieces of internet-enabled hardware (consoles, media streamers, laptops/PCs, iPhones, etc) I dread to think what I'll be down to by then. Be glad just to get my emails I think!

20. azn

azn Registered User

This is quite shocking :( But, you should know that as of the 12th of december, BT OpenReach have added the Ardrossan/Saltcoats/Stevenston exchange to their rollout for Infinity/superfast fibre optic. You can verify that here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Also, I always thought of the three towns as more of an urban connotation rather than a few rural towns. Just my two cents :)