Big Network Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by davidmoore83, Jan 2, 2005.

Share This Page

1. davidmoore83

davidmoore83 Banned

ok me and my friend want to share files on our PC's......we are part of a 10,500 pc network.....we have set up a workgroup and we can access each others files but now we want to stop others getting our files, which they could easily do by setting their workgroup to the same as ours.

Now his pc admin account name is 'Crash Into Me' when i enter this into permissions it says it doesnt exist.....any ideas why and also on how to do what i am trying to do?????

2. Sharky

Sharky Oh No...

I don't really know what I'm taling about, but I remember from some LANs that if you're on different switches, you'll be on different sub domains or something. Of course, if you're in the same halls, you'll more than likely be on the same switch.

I'd suggest using a crossover cable. Also, you won't annoy the network admins this way.

3. davidmoore83

davidmoore83 Banned

embarrisingly i am the network admin!! We are on the same switch but it is just refusing to work and i have no idea why....like i say we can share but we just want to make it private. to avoid sharing files with others

4. abe

abe Super Kustomer

I can only assume that you are a student at Uni. It does differ between locations, and with such a large network I would assume it's either broken down into lots of smaller networks depending on location - i.e. the Computer Science Network, the Music Technology Network, the North Campus Wireless Network etc etc either based on vLAN's or indeed totally seperate networks.

Generally also if you're in halls accomodation or whatever then the connection there is generally just connected to a massively OTT 'net connection (JaNET!) and over zealous firewall rules. The only way these places really keep tabs on their users is to use MAC Address authentication which is good should users start breaking the AUP in a big way.

There are ways to securely share your data over the LAN, but to be honest most of them break the AUP that you probably signed when you connected your computer to their network.

5. Cking06

Cking06 Registered Trader

inside the shared network settings you can set permissions to users or groups of users so you can allow only set users to get access / groups and block out all others. with linux this is very easy simply using the chmod command but it would depend on what os you use. you could simply password protect your stuff! If you would like any firther help just ask (qualified network admin / currently doing a qualification in linux)

6. davidmoore83

davidmoore83 Banned

cking read above the permissions wont work.....knew i should never have come back to windows!!

Yeah abe we are on Janet its MAnc Uni. I can get away with alot of things since i am network admin so breaking a few rules aint a problem plus i never signed a contract for the connection as it was a perk of the job :)

But yeah its firewalled up to high heaven and the future things we plan to implement make it not worth having 10mb connection as we cant do sod all with it :(

7. Sharky

Sharky Oh No...

Ah, can't believe I only just thought of this. If you wish to set the permissions so your friend can access shares on your computer, you need to create an account with the same name and password on your computer as he has on his. Then you can set the permissions so only he and yourself can access those shares. He should then able able to log in when others cannot.

8. vantim

vantim Banned

That's almost correct. Depending on the OS. If your using an NT Based Machine then you need to set up an account for him to log in as. If you on a 9x windows platform then that doesn't work. Instead of possibly screwing up your network with conflicting permissions and stuff why don't you just simply hide your shares by putting a $ at the end of them. Then you just type in the share name but nobody can see them.

9. davidmoore83

davidmoore83 Banned

problem alreay sorted found sharkys idea on the web works a treat