BBC lose 50% of F1 to some pr@t named Murdoch...

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Nanaki, Jul 30, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

ANGRY!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Way to much swearing required to convey my actual feelings but I am interested in seeing all of yours.

It's now going to cost £600 a year to watch every race in HD. No chance!

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Yup... as boring as most of the races were, I enjoyed watching the practise and qualifying sessions for the technical aspects of the cars.

Roll on BTCC and WRC.

3. KobaltedAntland

KobaltedAntland Colin

Never had sky, won't be getting sky for F1, never will get sky full stop. Been in a mood:( since I heard the news. Half the races, hows that going to work? Do we get every second race or are the BBC allowed to hand pick the ones they want to show?

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

BBC weren't planning on renewing their current deal that expires in 2012 anyway, so at least this way you still have some of the races on the BBC as opposed to none at all.

5. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Yes but the BBC deal was due to continue for another 2 years. Under the concord agreement then bernie would have had to sell the rights to ITV / Channel 4 / Channel 5 to still meet the team requirements of F1 being free to air.

At least then I would still have been able to see all of the races in the season.

If its about cost why spend 900 million moving offices about but 40 million a year for the F1 was apparently now to expensive.

Chanel 4 offered 45 million a year for the right but that was turned down because....

... the BBC approached Sky themselves! They were to greedy to allow one of the other terrestrial broadcasters to take the full licence so they chose this half ar*ed middle ground that results in a poorer service for the next 7 years instead.

Total contempt right now for that they and Bernie have just done.

6. Osiris

Osiris Gentleman and Scholar

This sucks major league Johnson......the cost of Sky Sports through my Virgin subscription is something like £25 a month. No way that I am paying that on principle alone. This half baked idea of showing some races will fail miserably, what are they going to do? Only show the first 30 laps of every race......

Not to mention the level of coverage this will get on Sky will not even come close to the beeb's. Sky Sports are all about football and all others sports will be pushed down to one of the lesser channels with a crap team, poor commentators and bloody adverts.......

Basically, all the good things F1 has done to improve the show the past few years has been wasted, viewers will vanish. BBC need to learn that cost cutting has its limits and killing off one of their highest rating shows isn't the way.

Look on the bright side though, with Murdoch running F1 there will be a lot more team radio broadcast, even if the teams don't realise this......

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

Sky have already said there will be no ads during the race.

8. latency

latency Existentialist

IIRC, ITV said the same thing when they took over. And yet...

9. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

They will just have them during pit stops.... LOL ^_^

Also BBC will get the British Grand-Prix as well as then European Grand-Prix (think that's the only 2 the BBC pushed to get.)

10. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

don't confuse Sky the platform and Sky channels.
    Sky Sports the channel is available via many platforms (Sky, Virgin, TUTV, BT Vision). So you don't have to be a Sky customer to get access to Sky Sports.

I would bet that BBC will cherry pick the races (Monaco and Britain being the obvious ones) and they won't show live the races that are at stupid times with regards to UK viewing.

Of course BBC will show highlights of every race though.

The view of one of the team principals was interesting though in that it costs a lot of money to put on these races so F1 needs the money. He said that it costs £2m just to build the car alone (excluding engine), so add on the cost of the engine, the staff, the transport etc etc and it's surprising that F1 has managed to stay FTA at all.

11. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i second this mate....this is the first (surprisingly ) i heard of this particular scenario...but it is still shoite!!!
    :mad:

12. Kronos

Kronos New Member

i think its disapointing, when you think of the BBC coverage is amazing, you get down in the paddock talking to the teams and the drivers you have coulthard talking about the tracks and eddie jjordan running around interviewing the hottest women he can find! and then the random challenges like hamilton button and the water ski on the Thames < this is all going to be lost as with Sky all we will get is 3 guys in a studio talking about the race not down at the action.

today is a sad day :(!

13. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i believe i have read that sky will use the same commentary team etc as the BBC. however if true, not entirely sure how that would work.

14. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

And an extra 130 odd quid a year on top (licence)

cough,cough, RIPOFF

15. jacobzcoool

jacobzcoool Chav Hunter

It doesn't bother me so much - I don't have a TV, because I can't afford £150/year to the BBC (terrible value for money for just Top Gear and F1).

16. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

No fuss here either. Not a roundy-roundy fan so won't miss it, and since they did a similar thing with WRC earlier this year and took it PPV, my whole motorsport exposure on TV has reduced to zero. F*** 'em all, when the sports die a death I'll be the first one laughing.

17. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

you don't listen to any of the BBC radio stations? you don't use iPlayer?
    those are also funded by license fee.

18. phil2715

phil2715 Registered + Sale

How will that help you?

19. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

...Channel 4 weren't able to be ready in time to start broadcasting next year.

20. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

and of course channel 4 would never agree to having no adverts during the race.