Asus P5W DH DeLuxe and Linux

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BarrySamuels, Jan 27, 2007.

Share This Page

1. BarrySamuels

BarrySamuels Registered User

Anyone here used the Asus P5W DH Deluxe with linux (which distribution?) and were there any problems?

I'm just about to pass my existing machine over to my wife and and build a new one based on the above board. I do, however, want to use my existing 250 GB IDE hard drives as they're not very old and I also want to use my IDE DVD writer which I bought from KustomPCs only around 3 months ago.

There does seem to be support for the on-board chips in the linux kernel but it would be nice to have someone verify that it will all work. :rolleyes:

2. Jamestk

Jamestk Tech Support

You might find this helpful

3. BarrySamuels

Yes - thanks James. I suppose that although my distribution (Debian Etch) is not in that list it must be close or support will be 'coming soon'.

I have read that some people had trouble in trying to use both the 2 different IDE interfaces and the LAN support but JMicron support, ICH7 support and Marvell LAN support is available in my 2.6.19 kernel although it doesn't mean they will necessarily work properly. :eek:

4. stdRaichu

stdRaichu Reincarnated User

Don't be too swayed by people not listing Distro X as supported. All distros rely on the same kernel at heart (which is where the vast majority of the device drivers live), so if it works on one distro chances are it'll work just fine on another.

Intel stuff you hardly ever have to worry about, since they're one of the few manufacturers to widely support open source drivers (in fact, they're a major contributor to the Linux kernel). If that board doesn't work out of the box with Etch, I'll eat my hat :D

Edit: whoops, did a wrong copy and paste and looked up the wrong board. You will most likely have some problems due to the fact that this uses the JMicron controller which was only officially supported from 2.6.19 onwards. Not sure if Etch has the JMicron driver backported or not, but I'd guess not. This thread has a link to an ISO that has JMIcron support. Shame that Debian missed the boat on 2.6.19 since that was when the all-singing all-dancing libata (with better support and extra featureslike NCQ) went mainstream.

5. BarrySamuels

I'm not too swayed - just a little. :)

My sentiments entirely (he said hopefully). :rolleyes:

I'll take you up on that! I shall require a photograph plus two signed witness statements. :p

Oh come on! You can't wriggle out of it that easily. ;)

You may notice in my post immediately above that I say I have a 2.6.19 kernel with appropriate JMicron support but that I have seen people having problems in getting all their hard drives recognised at the same time when using both PATA interfaces.

I tell you what - I'll eat your hat if everything works first go (You pay the postage). :D

(Update 29/01/07 - As nobody has replied in the affirmative it's going to be 'suck it and see'. I've just paid Kustom lots of money for bits so it's too late now!)