Advice on External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leo_DarkSide, Nov 30, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Leo_DarkSide

Leo_DarkSide Anthro Lion Warrior

So, i'm running low on space on my main HDD and looking to transfer some stuff to an external or two. I already have an aging powered External HDD, but I am looking to replace it with a few smaller ones instead of a large one (So I have my music on one drive instead of on one big drive, etc).

The main factor i'm looking into when purchasing is reliability, so should I get a regular powered Desktop USB ExHDD? A Portable USB HDD? A regular HDD and buy USB enclosures?

Space wise, I'm looking for 1TB increments at a time, so each option i've suggested should meet my needs. I'm not looking for a NAS because it's out of my price-range atm and i'm looking for storage solutions I can easily take with me.

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I'd go for a portable USB3 hard drive. It only takes one USB socket and works with USB2 / 1.1, just slower. Depending on the brand you might be able to get the same drive in different colours e.g. Blue for music, Red for videos etc. Something to remember is that some use a special socket on the hard drive so if you forget your cable you might not be able to use it.

If you do want a NAS you might wanna see if you can just connect a USB hard drive to your router.