3D Printers

Discussion in 'Topical Discussion' started by Samsonite, Jul 30, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I saw an item on the news this morning and it got me thinking about what we could use 3D printers for. What would you use one for?

The things that sprung to mind were

- Tools: I modified my car stereo the other day and used these plastic removal tools - they would be really easy to print and there must be loads of other custom tools that could be printed.
    - Spare parts: When something breaks, we could print spare parts out to fix things.
    - PCs: We could print out cases/housing with perfect custom designs around the hardware we want to put in.
    - Toys: Print toys, but more specifically you could print out Lego parts to improve your (I mean your kid's) collection...

Another interesting aspect would be that you could probably quite easily sell designs for various things for a small amount on a website. It seems that 3D printers are well under £1000 these days already so plenty of people will start buying them over the coming years...

2. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

seems like a 3D printer can be a really good investment.

3. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

I've used 3d printers and I can tell you now that yes the ideas seems sound but theres a lot of 'finishing' to be done with the home versions, even the business ones need to be finished after being printed.

Basically the tech is here but it's not at a high enough level to really be of much use outside of rapid prototyping etc.