kustomlogo  

Go Back   Kustom PC's Forums > Computers > Troubleshooting

Old 20-04-2005, 13:44   #1
head2head
Has an old noisy shuttle

Send a message via MSN to head2head
Outlook Icon on Desktop

Hi there...just got a quick query that I thought someone might be able to help me with

I've got a thing for not having too many icons on my desktop and I cleaned it out yesterday, removing the Outlook icon in the process. I forgot however, that it has now been removed from all the desktops on all the accounts on this PC (three others, all of which use the icon on the desktop, unlike myself). I thought I might be able to retrieve the icon from my Recycle bin and place it into the seperate Desktop folders in each of the seperate user profiles, but alas, it not there...I'm assuming this has something to do with the 'special functionality' of the icon?

So to the crux of the question...is there any way I can retieve said icon and have it back on the desktops of the other accounts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm running XP SP2 by the way
Shuttle SN142G2 V2 || Athlon XP 2500 || 1024 Crucial 2700 DDR || 80 gb Samsung Spinpoint || 120 gb Seagate Barracuda || Geforce FX5500 GPU || Shuttle CR40 Silver DVDRW || Windows XP Pro/Ubuntu Dapper Drake Dual Boot

Laptop
Dell Latitude C600 || 750 mhz || 512 pc100 || 20 gb Hitachi Deskstar HDD || DVD Rom || Windows XP Pro SP2/ Ubuntu Dapper Drake Dual Boot
head2head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 13:55   #2
mr-white
propane cooled

Send a message via MSN to mr-white
just create a new icon from C:\Program Files\Outlook Express.

can you not put the icon in C:\Documents and Settings\username\desktop as apposed to C:\Documents and Settings\all users\desktop ???

MW
mr-white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 13:56   #3
Don Corleone
lentamente gira diment

Send a message via MSN to Don Corleone
if its Office 2003 then (assuming the app is installed on the C: drive) go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 find Outlook.exe, right click & create a shortcut, then copy this shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Desktop where [Username] is your user

if its Office XP then (assuming the app is installed on the C: drive) go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10 find Outlook.exe, right click & create a shortcut, then copy this shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Desktop where [Username] is your user

that should be that
Vista Rig: MESH Xtreme 6750 DX10 | Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz) | SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) | 4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory | 2x 256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - SLI Configuration | 20.1" Belinea Widescreen TFT | 1 x Seagate 500GB SATA HDD (16MB Buffer)

Ubuntu/Linux Rig: Compaq Pro Evo | P4 1.6Ghz HT | 512Mb SDRAM | Nvidia Vanta LT | 17" Compaq TFT | 1 x Seagate 200Gb IDE HDD
Don Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 14:03   #4
Modula

http://www.swfpcug.org/faq/outlook.htm#icon says ....

How do I get my Outlook icon back?

If a user deletes the Outlook icon from his or her desktop, he or she might be tempted to create a new shortcut to the program to restore the icon. However, the Outlook icon that the program puts on the desktop is more than a mere shortcut.

If the user right-clicks the Outlook icon, he or she will see options such as Properties, which provides quick access to the Outlook profiles on that machine. Although it's easy to create a new shortcut, if you right-click a shortcut and select Properties, you'll only get the Properties for that shortcut; the user won't have access to his or her Outlook profiles.

While there's a fairly complex registry edit that will put the Outlook icon back on the desktop, tell your users to follow this simple three-step process instead:
1. Start Outlook. (Note: The user may have to go through Start | Programs | Microsoft Outlook since the icon was deleted.)
2. Go to Help | Detect And Repair.
3. Run Detect And Repair and select the check box Restore My Shortcuts While Repairing.

Jon

EDIT: That's for the 'fixed' shortcut, IE: It's not a shortcut, it's a desktop component.

Last edited by Modula; 20-04-2005 at 14:08.
Modula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 14:11   #5
head2head
Has an old noisy shuttle

Send a message via MSN to head2head
What Mod hasn't said is that I found the solution first :P (i enlisted his help!)

I should have known that a quick google would have sorted it...thanks for the help and sorry for the rather pointless thread!
Shuttle SN142G2 V2 || Athlon XP 2500 || 1024 Crucial 2700 DDR || 80 gb Samsung Spinpoint || 120 gb Seagate Barracuda || Geforce FX5500 GPU || Shuttle CR40 Silver DVDRW || Windows XP Pro/Ubuntu Dapper Drake Dual Boot

Laptop
Dell Latitude C600 || 750 mhz || 512 pc100 || 20 gb Hitachi Deskstar HDD || DVD Rom || Windows XP Pro SP2/ Ubuntu Dapper Drake Dual Boot
head2head is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: